Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help required for replacing text in vi Post 302161854 by nitin09 on Saturday 26th of January 2008 10:12:17 AM
Old 01-26-2008
better use perl search and replace.

Quote:
perl -i -pe 's/old pattern/new pattern/g' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing text

hey how can i change part of a file i hve to do in a masses so mv or cp is not practical. I have to change xxx_rrr to xxx_yyy pls help thank (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text

I was using the following code to replace the path names and it works when it is echo "$PWD/$f" | sed -e 's/^.*chris\.domain\.com/chris.domain.com/' IN fact it works great However I tried to incorporate a variable echo "$PWD/$f" | sed -e... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrchcol
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing text with the value of a variable

Input file - tmp <begin> ./00003/ ./00004/ <end> I would like to replace "." with the value of pwd so that the output will look like /dev/project/00003/ t=`pwd` sed -e "s/\./$t/g" tmp > tmp1; The above piece of code is not working. Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotto_123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Text in Text file

Hi Guys, I am needing some help writing a shell script to replace the following in a text file /opt/was/apps/was61 with some other path eg /usr/blan/blah/blah. I know that i can do it using sed or perl but just having difficulty writing the escape characters for it All Help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgilchrist
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text manipulation help required

Hi all, I want to perform different operations on text like converting string to lower, converting to upper, extract string etc. can anyone suggest me shell commands for these? is it possible to take input with read command and then applying perl commands for string manipulation? Help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admc123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text/characters in vi

ok, so i have the following text to replace but it's not working. can someone please help me out: :%s~awk '// {split($2,s,",");a=$1 FS s} /-/ {b=a} END{print b}'~tail -1~g I want to replace the entire awk command with tail -1. thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text on every third line

I have file like this "copy table_name from filea.txt on node replace delimiter '|';" "copy table_name from fileb.txt on node replace delimiter '|';" "copy table_name from filec.txt on node replace delimiter'|';" "copy table_name from filee.txt on node replace delimiter '|';" "copy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nnani
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two patterns

I would like to replace ], with ]]], between /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ and /* SECTION2-END */ in my file. My file contains the following information: /* SECTION1-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION1-END */ /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION2-END */ /*... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azdps
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing required newlines

hi i have a requirement to replace a string with another using sed and to get the result newline separated but after sed replacement the newline vanishes below is sample code #!/bin/ksh set -x string="name sam\nage 45 \nsport soccer" echo $string string=`echo $string | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Required to get a portion of a text

Hello Gurus, I have a filesystem like below : /u03/oracle/EBSDEV/fs1/EBSapps/appl I want to get only the portion of the above text like below... /u03/oracle/EBSDEV Can you please advice on this? Thanks- P (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
5 Replies
MB_EREGI_REPLACE(3)							 1						       MB_EREGI_REPLACE(3)

mb_eregi_replace - Replace regular expression with multibyte support ignoring case

SYNOPSIS
string mb_eregi_replace (string $pattern, string $replace, string $string, [string $option = "msri"]) DESCRIPTION
Scans $string for matches to $pattern, then replaces the matched text with $replacement. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The regular expression pattern. Multibyte characters may be used. The case will be ignored. o $replace - The replacement text. o $string - The searched string. o $option -$option has the same meaning as in mb_ereg_replace(3). RETURN VALUES
The resultant string or FALSE on error. NOTES
Note The internal encoding or the character encoding specified by mb_regex_encoding(3) will be used as the character encoding for this function. Warning Never use the e modifier when working on untrusted input. No automatic escaping will happen (as known from preg_replace(3)). Not taking care of this will most likely create remote code execution vulnerabilities in your application. SEE ALSO
mb_regex_encoding(3), mb_ereg_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_EREGI_REPLACE(3)