Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with cleanup
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with cleanup Post 302161706 by KittyWu on Friday 25th of January 2008 02:15:13 PM
Old 01-25-2008
Hi,

I think that the 'mktemp' command (which create a temporary
file with a *unic* name) can be usefull here:

# Create ('-c' option) a 0-length file in the tmp area
typeset -i RC
typeset LP_FILE_PATH=$(mktemp -c); RC=$?
if [[ ${RC} -ne 0 ]]; then
echo "ERROR: cannot create a temporary file"
return ${RC}
fi

# Extract the file name (supposed to be unic)
typeset LP_UNIC_NAME=${LP_FILE_PATH##*/}
# ...
# Do your stuff
# ...

# Don't forget to cleanup the temporary area!
# (to be done at the *END*)
rm -f ${LP_FILE_PATH}

Hope it helps,
C.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail cleanup

What is the correct procedures to clean up /var/spool/mqueue? Any help appreciated. This directory gets really clogged up at times. :( :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomi39
1 Replies

2. AIX

Login ID cleanup

Hello I have many old IDs on my AIX and would like to know the simplest way of knowing the last time an ID was used. I am familiar with the "last" command. Thanks for any info :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MILLERJ62
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Cleanup Script

Hi Guys, I've got an system setup to act as an sftp server. I have a script that allows me to create chroot users running a custom shell within their home directory, it also creates a subdirectory that they can write into. I'm trying to write a script (that I can cron at a later date) that checks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: King_Brucie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleanup script

Hi! I would like to write a script which remove some files, all beginning with the same prefix : prefix.1 doc/prefix.2 ../prefix.3 etc. So, I would create a file and chmod it executable. But I dont know how to pass a variable to a script. I would like to write something like ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
2 Replies

5. Solaris

/home cleanup

Hi All, I have this script for linux on cleaning up orphaned folder. But I need to use this on solaris 8/9/10 for user in $(ls | grep -v lost+found) ; do id $user >/dev/null 2>&1 if ] then ls -ld $user grep $user /etc/passwd fi done Can someone please convert this script? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleanup between parenthesis

Hi, I am trying to clean up data between parenthesis () in a file. See example below.... Input File : (New York) Chicago (London) New York (Chicago) London New York Chicago (London) (New York) (Chicago) (London) New York (Chicago) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Table Cleanup Script

I needed some help with a script to fetch and delete all records prior to 3 days from now connecting to sybase from sunos. I wrote the following script but not working..can someone please guide me with my code. Thanks #!/bin/ksh ##GET PREVIOUS DAY DATE dt=`date | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid.cleanup script.

Hi guys! I have a directory in the production environment from which i have to delete files older then 40 minutes with .pid extention. I wrote a script below for the purpose. #!/bin/bash # # Script to delete specific file older than N minutes. # OLDERTHAN="40" #40 minutes ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajid.shah
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to Cleanup Multipathing

I have a server running redhat 5.5 and it has one SAN device presented to it as LUN9. How can I clean up the remaining entries. I cannot afford to interupt the service. Please assist. # multipath -l mpath0 (36000097000019260298953666633436) dm-11 EMC,SYMMETRIX \_ round-robin 0 \_ 2:0:0:9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Adobe application cleanup

I am trying to come up with a universal way of cleaning up after CS5 (and 5.5) installs. The history is this: adobe has a deployment tool called AAMEE that lets you re-package items and deploy them. Unfortunately it's very messy and leaves Application folders (and pieces of the apps) that do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kleinboy
1 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ... mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes each of the given file name templates and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with some number of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp testing roughly 26 ** 6 combinations. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. If the -t prefix option is given, mktemp will generate an template string based on the prefix and the TMPDIR environment variable if set. The default location if TMPDIR is not set is /tmp. Care should be taken to ensure that it is appropriate to use an environment variable potentially supplied by the user. Any number of temporary files may be created in a single invocation, including one based on the internal template resulting from the -t flag. Mktemp is provided to allow shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the pid as a suffix and use that as a temporary file name. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior, approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this does allow one to guarantee that a temporary file will not be subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. For these reasons it is suggested that mktemp be used instead. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t prefix Generate a template (using the supplied prefix and TMPDIR if set) to create a filename template. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. DIAGNOSTICS
The mktemp utility exits 0 on success, and 1 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE To allow the use of $TMPDIR: tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -t ${tempfoo}` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
mkdtemp(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), environ(7) HISTORY
A mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. This implementation was written independently based on the OpenBSD man page, and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.7. This man page is taken from OpenBSD BSD
November 20, 1996 BSD