Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting switching user from root to ordinary user Post 302161612 by RTM on Friday 25th of January 2008 08:11:28 AM
Old 01-25-2008
If $cmd is where you are running the command as root, change it to
su - sasia -c "$cmd"

Test it to see if it is what you need and read the man page on su command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching between root and a normal user

I am writing a script that has some tasks that must be run as root, then set of tasks to be run as normal user, then again as root. is there a way to switch between users in a script? any other alternatives? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. AIX

[Help] Give privilege to an ordinary user

I'm trying to give a non-root user the right to start IBM HTTP Server, the web server is listening on port 80, but for AIX, ports under 1024 are privilege ports which can be used only by root. /usr/IBMIHS/bin# ./apachectl start (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address :::80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibmer414
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharaola
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find ordinary files in directory input by user

I need to make a shell script that accepts a directory input by the user. The program searches for the directory and finds if it exists or not. Then if it does exist, it outputs the number of files within that directory. Here's what I have so far. result= echo "Please input a directory:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
uadmin(1M)																uadmin(1M)

NAME
uadmin - administrative control SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/uadmin cmd fcn [mdep] /sbin/uadmin cmd fcn [mdep] The uadmin command provides control for basic administrative functions. This command is tightly coupled to the system administration proce- dures and is not intended for general use. It may be invoked only by the super-user. Both the cmd (command) and fcn (function) arguments are converted to integers and passed to the uadmin system call. The optional mdep (machine dependent) argument is only available for the cmd values of 1 (A_REBOOT), 2 (A_SHUTDOWN), or 5 (A_DUMP). For any other cmd value, no mdep command-line argument is allowed. When passing an mdep value that contains whitespaces, the string must be grouped together as a single argument enclosed within quotes, for example: uadmin 1 1 "-s kernel/unix" See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ uadmin(2), attributes(5) On systems, shutting down the system by means of uadmin does not update the boot archive. Avoid using this command after manual editing of files such as /etc/system or driver.conf(4). 11 Apr 2005 uadmin(1M)