Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replace field in csv
Operating Systems Linux Replace field in csv Post 302159956 by pcboss on Saturday 19th of January 2008 04:08:11 PM
Old 01-19-2008
Replace field in csv

Hi, I need to replace a field (field 5) in a csv file, based on the content of another field (field 2), something like this:

actual file:

field1, field2, filed3, field4, field5, field6
01,232,abb-pan,679,,pan
02,565,cdf-pan,683,,pan

the result should be:

01,232,abb-pan,679,PASSED,pan

so, if field2 value is 232, then write PASSED in field 5

Im familiar with awk, i tried this:

awk -F, '{
if ($2 == "232") {
pass_ref="PASSED"
**** I'm stuck here, how I replace the field5... in the same file...???***

thanks in advanced....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a field in a CSV file

Hello all, I've a CSV file and need to replace 5th field if its value is "X". The exact requirement is to replace 5th field (column) with "Y" if a. it's value is "X" AND b. the line must start with ABC string i guess this can be done with awk. Pl help. For security reasons, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a particular field in all records in a csv file

hi, i have various csv files, the file format is as follows Entry: "1",4,2010/08/15-10-00-00.01,,"E",,,,,,,,,120,0,"M4_","C","KEW-011-5337140-20100916163456-540097","1234567890","N N 0 ",,,"NUK 800100200",,,"NN",,,,,,,,,,,,"0000000001|0001|20150401... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a certain field from a CSV?

EDIT: This problem has been solved thanks to the help of scottn. Okay, so I have a CSV. Let's say it has the following entries in it: Jackie Chan,1954,M Chuck Norris,1930,M Bruce Lee,1940,M How would I, for example, extract the gender out of a certain person, maybe based on the year of... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickeneaterguy
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting field values from .csv

How can I select the bold fields from the following? "CLLI","SWREL","RPTDATE","RPTIME","TZ","RPTTYPE","RPTPD","IVALDATE","IVALSTART","IVALEND","NUMENTIDS" "tklc9010801","EAGLE5 45.0.0-64.70.1","2013-08-07","02:01:50","MST ","COMPONENT MEASUREMENTS ON... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update field value on a csv file

Hi I have a job status csv file. I want to update the status of the job in the file. Below is the csv file 1,jobname1,in_progress,starttime,somthing,somthing 2,jobname2,completed,starttime,somthing,somthing 3,jobname3,failed,starttime,somthing,somthing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
8 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match columns from two csv files and update field in one of the csv file

Hi, I have a file of csv data, which looks like this: file1: 1AA,LGV_PONCEY_LES_ATHEE,1,\N,1,00020460E1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,2,00.22335321,0.00466628 2BB,LES_POUGES_ASF,\N,200,200,00006298G1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,1,00.30887539,0.00050312... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djoseph
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace last field in a file,if first field matches

Hi, Need to replace last field in a file(/etc/passwd) ,if first filed matches with particular username. Scenario: cat testfor1 deekshi:x:7082:7082::/home/deekshi:/bin/bash harini1:x:7083:7083::/home/harini1:/bin/bash Here,if first field contains "deekshi", then i should replace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies
csv(n)								  CSV processing							    csv(n)

NAME
csv - Procedures to handle CSV data. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.3 package require csv ?0.3? ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} DESCRIPTION
The csv package provides commands to manipulate information in CSV FORMAT (CSV = Comma Separated Values). COMMANDS
The following commands are available: ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of lists of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". Each element of the outer list is considered a record, these are separated by newlines in the result. The elements of each record are formatted as usual (via ::csv::join). ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} A wrapper around ::csv::split2matrix (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given matrix. For an explanation of the expand argument see ::csv::split2matrix. ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::split2queue (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given queue. ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? A report command which can be used by the matrix methods format 2string and format 2chan. For the latter this command delegates the work to ::csv::writematrix. cmd is expected to be either printmatrix or printmatrix2channel. The channel argument, chan, has to be present for the latter and must not be present for the first. ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} converts a line in CSV format into a list of the values contained in the line. The character used to separate the values from each other can be defined by the caller, via sepChar, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} The same as ::csv::split, but appends the resulting list as a new row to the matrix m, using the method add row. The expansion mode specified via expand determines how the command handles a matrix with less columns than contained in line. The allowed modes are: none This is the default mode. In this mode it is the responsibility of the caller to ensure that the matrix has enough columns to contain the full line. If there are not enough columns the list of values is silently truncated at the end to fit. empty In this mode the command expands an empty matrix to hold all columns of the specified line, but goes no further. The overall effect is that the first of a series of lines determines the number of columns in the matrix and all following lines are truncated to that size, as if mode none was set. auto In this mode the command expands the matrix as needed to hold all columns contained in line. The overall effect is that after adding a series of lines the matrix will have enough columns to hold all columns of the longest line encountered so far. ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} The same as ::csv::split, but appending the resulting list as a single item to the queue q, using the method put. ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all rows in the matrix m and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all items in the queue q (assumes that they are lists) and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. FORMAT
Each record of a csv file (comma-separated values, as exported e.g. by Excel) is a set of ASCII values separated by ",". For other lan- guages it may be ";" however, although this is not important for this case (The functions provided here allow any separator character). If a value contains itself the separator ",", then it (the value) is put between "". If a value contains ", it is replaced by "". EXAMPLE
The record 123,"123,521.2","Mary says ""Hello, I am Mary""" is parsed as follows: a) 123 b) 123,521.2 c) Mary says "Hello, I am Mary" SEE ALSO
matrix, queue KEYWORDS
csv, matrix, queue, package, tcllib csv 0.3 csv(n)