Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk Post 302159750 by jazz8146 on Friday 18th of January 2008 11:03:46 AM
Old 01-18-2008
awk

Hello All,
I am trying to get the average of a set of numbers using awk. I only want to average the numbers on the first row of the file then put the average on the end of that row and then on to the second row but i can only get it to do the average for the whole file.
Here is the code i am using:

awk ' { sum = $2 + $3 }
END { average = sum / 2
printf "%d\n", average
}' all

Data in 'all' is something like this
blah 5 10
doh 20 30

I have managed to do this in a previous post but it was using for loops and i want to do it without loops if possible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies
..::lib::Smokeping::matchers::Avgratio(3)			     SmokePing				 ..::lib::Smokeping::matchers::Avgratio(3)

NAME
Smokeping::matchers::Avgratio - detect changes in average median latency OVERVIEW
The Avgratio matcher establishes a historic average median latency over several measurement rounds. It compares this average, against a second average latency value again build over several rounds of measurement. DESCRIPTION
Call the matcher with the following sequence: type = matcher pattern = Avgratio(historic=>a,current=>b,comparator=>o,percentage=>p) historic The number of median values to use for building the 'historic' average. current The number of median values to use for building the 'current' average. comparator Which comparison operator should be used to compare current/historic with percentage. percentage Right hand side of the comparison. old <--- historic ---><--- current ---> now EXAMPLE
Take build the average median latency over 10 samples, use this to divide the current average latency built over 2 samples and check if it is bigger than 150%. Avgratio(historic=>10,current=>2,comparator=>'>',percentage=>150); avg(current)/avg(historic) > 150/100 This means the matcher will activate when the current latency average is more than 1.5 times the historic latency average established over the last 10 rounds of measurement. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 by OETIKER+PARTNER AG. All rights reserved. SPONSORSHIP
The development of this matcher has been sponsored by Virtela Communications, <http://www.virtela.net/>. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.6.8 2012-02-26 ..::lib::Smokeping::matchers::Avgratio(3)