Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read from a .dat file in Unix Post 302159661 by vino on Friday 18th of January 2008 07:09:50 AM
Old 01-18-2008
Assuming filename.dat contains a single pid per line

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

while read pid
do
  while kill -0 $pid 2> /dev/null
  do
    kill -9 $pid 2> /dev/null
  done
done < filename.dat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach an excel file/ dat file thru unix mails

Hi. I want to attach a .xls or .dat file while sending mail thru unix. I have come across diff attachments sending options, but allthose embeds the content in the mail. I want the attachement to be send as such. Please help me out. regards Diwakar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diwakar82
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I delete a data string from a .dat file in unix

I have a .dat file in unix and it keeps failing file validation on line x. How do I delete a data string from a .dat file in UNIX? I tried the following: sed -e 'data string' -e file name and it telling me unrecognized command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supergirl3954
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read dat file line by line

Hello, I am a bit stuck on something I am sure is easy to most. I have a dat file that has a list of server names. sentra blue red willy clawcrab I need to take each server name from the dat file in a shell script and attempt to ssh to it to run a script on that server. So I guess I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file

Hello Gurus, We are facing some performance issue in UNIX. If someone had faced such kind of issue in past please provide your suggestions on this . Problem Definition: /Few of load processes of our Finance Application are facing issue in UNIX when they uses a shell script having below... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRAMA
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add spaces to test.dat file in unix??

Hi I have a test.dat file in UNIX which has a data.I am informatica developer i get data in those files.I need to add 50 spaces to those data in test.dat file.I am new to unix So can any one help how can i do that. I have some 2088 rows in that test.dat file. Can anyone help me please its... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karingulanagara
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove <CR><LF> from the dat file in unix

Hi, The source system has created the file in the dat format and put into the linux directory as mentioned below. I want to do foloowing things. a) Delete the Line started with <CR><LF> in the record b)Also line ...........................................................<CR><LF> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format change in UNIX .dat file

Hi, I need help to convert the date format in .DAT file in unix. I want to convert 10@@|SWIFT MT568 Extract@@|Apr 14 2014 5:47:52:563PM@@|Apr 14 2014 4:33:47:663PM@@||##| into 10@@|SWIFT MT568 Extract@@|04/14/2014/ 5:47:52:563PM@@|04/14/2014 4:33:47:663PM@@||##| Appreciate... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikengox
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Getting distinct record count from a .dat file using UNIX command

Hi, I have a .dat file with contents like the below: Input file ============SEQ NO-1: COLUMN1========== 9835619 7152815 ============SEQ NO-2: COLUMN2 ========== 7615348 7015548 9373086 ============SEQ NO-3: COLUMN3=========== 9373086 Expected Output: (I just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS06
1 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

How to split a dat file based on another file ni UNIX?

i have two files , one is var.txt and another res.dat file var.txt contains informaton like below date,request,sales,item 20171015,1,123456,216 20171015,1,123456,217 20171015,2,345678,214 20171015,3,456789,218 and res.dat contains is a one huge file contains information like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pogo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat?

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmcginni777
5 Replies
wait(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh wait [pid...] /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh wait [pid...] wait [ % jobid...] /bin/csh wait DESCRIPTION
The shell itself executes wait, without creating a new process. If you get the error message cannot fork,too many processes, try using the wait command to clean up your background processes. If this doesn't help, the system process table is probably full or you have too many active foreground processes. There is a limit to the number of process IDs associated with your login, and to the number the system can keep track of. Not all the processes of a pipeline with three or more stages are children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. /bin/sh, /bin/jsh Wait for your background process whose process ID is pid and report its termination status. If pid is omitted, all your shell's currently active background processes are waited for and the return code will be 0. The wait utility accepts a job identifier, when Job Control is enabled (jsh), and the argument, jobid, is preceded by a percent sign (%). If pid is not an active process ID, the wait utility will return immediately and the return code will be 0. csh Wait for your background processes. ksh When an asynchronous list is started by the shell, the process ID of the last command in each element of the asynchronous list becomes known in the current shell execution environment. If the wait utility is invoked with no operands, it will wait until all process IDs known to the invoking shell have terminated and exit with an exit status of 0. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent known process IDs (or jobids), the wait utility will wait until all of them have terminated. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent unknown process IDs (or jobids), wait will treat them as if they were known process IDs (or jobids) that exited with exit status 127. The exit status returned by the wait utility will be the exit status of the process requested by the last pid or jobid operand. The known process IDs are applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: One of the following: pid The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, for which the utility is to wait for the termination. jobid A job control job ID that identifies a background process group to be waited for. The job control job ID notation is applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment, and only on systems supporting the job control option. USAGE
On most implementations, wait is a shell built-in. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, (wait) nohup wait ... find . -exec wait ... ; it will return immediately because there will be no known process IDs to wait for in those environments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using A Script To Identify The Termination Signal Although the exact value used when a process is terminated by a signal is unspecified, if it is known that a signal terminated a process, a script can still reliably figure out which signal is using kill, as shown by the following (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 1000& pid=$! kill -kill $pid wait $pid echo $pid was terminated by a SIG$(kill -l $(($?-128))) signal. Example 2: Returning The Exit Status Of A Process If the following sequence of commands is run in less than 31 seconds (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 257 | sleep 31 & jobs -l %% then either of the following commands will return the exit status of the second sleep in the pipeline: wait <pid of sleep 31> wait %% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wait: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), jobs(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 1997 wait(1)