Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming allowing members of a group to kill a process Post 302159419 by reborg on Thursday 17th of January 2008 06:55:23 PM
Old 01-17-2008
The setuid/setgid permission bits would need to be set on the binary for this to work as a non-root user.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

3. Solaris

make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !!

Hello Sir, I want to add some members into a group on NIS domain, but when I run "/usr/ccs/bin/make group" to update the group map it was failed :-( the error message is : problem storing develop... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lk74612
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of group members?

Is there a command to get a list of group members? Something similar to the groups command, but instead of passing a username and returning groups, you pass it a groupname, and it returns members? It is difficult to do it manually because the group membership information is split across two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill a process initiated by other user at the same group

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow a group members to be able to kill (using kill command) processes created by other user at the same group? and i need the change to be at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

7. Linux

members in a group

Hi all, I am new to Linux.Can anyone tell me how to display or list all the members in a group? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to list group members in solaris 9

Hi, I already gone through with old post regarding listing the group members and tried the command getenv group other the result is other::1:root i listed my part of the /etc/passwd file below test1:x:100:1::/home/test1:/bin/sh test2:x:101:1::/home/test2:/bin/ksh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setfacl and granting permissions to a group and its members on a directory

Hi! I created a group HACKERS and made the user "demo" its member. $ id demo uid=500(demo) gid=500(demo) groups=500(demo),502(HACKERS) $ Next, I granted read and execute permissions to the group "HACKERS" on /var/log/httpd as shown below: setfacl -m "g:HACKERS:r-x"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies
KILL(2) 							System Calls Manual							   KILL(2)

NAME
kill - send signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill(pid, sig); DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the signal sig to the process specified by the process number in r0. See signal(2) for a list of signals. The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is restricted to the super-user. If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all other processes in the sender's process group; see tty(4). If the process number is -1, and the user is the super-user, the signal is broadcast universally except to processes 0 and 1, the scheduler and initialization processes, see init(8). Processes may send signals to themselves. SEE ALSO
signal(2), kill(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Zero is returned if the process is killed; -1 is returned if the process does not have the same effective user ID and the user is not super-user, or if the process does not exist. ASSEMBLER
(kill = 37.) (process number in r0) sys kill; sig KILL(2)