Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modify files through scripts
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Modify files through scripts Post 302159109 by tpltp on Thursday 17th of January 2008 04:47:45 AM
Old 01-17-2008
Modify files through scripts

Hello, all

I want to implement some actions on the specified files, to modify some contents in the files, as follows:
File1:
name carol
birthday 830319
name billy
birthday 831001

The asterisks mean there are a lot of other contents. I want to write a script to change the file as " Modify.ksh File1 000101" to modify all the birthdays to 000101? Are there any suggestions? For the easy way

NOTE: In the file, the birthday only appears in the two places.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modify files

Hi everybody, I have a certine file with lots of number, Which I want to add a " in the begging and at the and of each line. Could anyone tell me how can I do it? Cheers (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amgo
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to permanently modify the open files

hi all, any ideas how we can permanently modify the open files? bash-2.03$ ulimit -a core file size (blocks) 0 data seg size (kbytes) unlimited file size (blocks) unlimited open files 256 <--------------- pipe size (512 bytes) 10 stack size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for files and modify if size matches

hi there. I'm at SunOS 5.9 At my new job i'm using UNIX, and it's my first time. i'm trying to make a script for: -find files with a name passed to it as parameter -compare results with file size passed as parameter too -when comparison's true --> move file -if not--> make nothing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viko
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify log files to get uniq data

Hello, I have a log file that has following output as below. LAP.sun5 CC LAP.sun5 CQ perl.sun5 CC perl.sun5 CQ TSLogger.sun5 CC TSLogger.sun5 CQ TSLogger.sun5 KR WAS.sun5 CC WAS.sun5 MT WAS.sun5 CQ I want to output to be in the way below, i tried using awk but could not do it. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: How to modify files in a complex way

Hello, I am new to sed and hope that someone can help me with the following task. I need to modify a txt file which has format like this: xy=CreateDB|head.queue|head.source|head.definition|rtf.edit|rtf.task|rft.cut abc|source|divine|line4|5|true into something like: head.queue=abc... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkypunky
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP script to modify .forward files

Hi. I've been racking my brain on a project I've been working on for work, and hope someone here might be of assistance. Basically I'm trying to create dynamically generated .forward files for users/aliases on my email server. The intent is for these files to be generated automatically any time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adotte
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify different files at the same time

Hi, I'm having the following problem. I have some files to modify, between a large number of files. I thought the following code aux2=`grep -l 2.2.17 *` print "$aux2" aux3=`ls -l *.ksh | wc -l` print "$aux3" while ; do print "The counter is $aux3" #Add the sed here ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radicaled
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to modify a lot of html files

Hello, I have about 3400 files in a tree structure (about 80% are html files). 1. I need to modify every html file to remove <p> style and old things like font attribute and add another style. 2. I need to change the root of all links that are in the html. e.g. change /old/path/ to /new/path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yaazkal
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find modify and delete files

hi every one. one of my friends has writen this script and send it to me. this script can find files that add-delete-modify and also send an alert by email i'm not catch all part of it. can anyone explain me how this work #!/bin/bash START="a.txt" END="b.txt" DIFF="c.txt" mv ${START}... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify csv-files with awk

Hello everyone! I have thousands of csv files I have to import into a Database table. As usually the files aren't perfect. For example they have a different number of columns and some weird columns. The second problem is, that I have to add 3 parts of the filename into 3 rows in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elRonaldo
6 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEBCONF(1)						     Debhelper						      DH_INSTALLDEBCONF(1)

NAME
dh_installdebconf - install files used by debconf in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installdebconf [debhelperoptions] [-n] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdebconf is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files used by debconf into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postrm commands needed to interface with debconf. The commands are added to the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb. See dh_installdeb(1) for an explanation of how that works. Note that if you use debconf, your package probably needs to depend on it (it will be added to ${misc:Depends} by this program). Note that for your config script to be called by dpkg, your postinst needs to source debconf's confmodule. dh_installdebconf does not install this statement into the postinst automatically as it is too hard to do it right. FILES
debian/package.config This is the debconf config script, and is installed into the DEBIAN directory in the package build directory. Inside the script, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. debian/package.templates This is the debconf templates file, and is installed into the DEBIAN directory in the package build directory. debian/po/ If this directory is present, this program will automatically use po2debconf(1) to generate merged templates files that include the translations from there. For this to work, your package should build-depend on po-debconf. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postrm script. -- params Pass the params to po2debconf. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEBCONF(1)