Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to print arguments along with spaces using awk Post 302159037 by jisha on Thursday 17th of January 2008 12:43:57 AM
Old 01-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
Code:
awk 'sub(/^aaa/,"")' filename

I'm not sure if you want the space after the pattern (if any),
in that case:

Code:
awk 'sub(/^aaa */,"")' filename

HI radoulov,

Thank you for the reply ..
Finally i have made it as given below :

awk 'sub(/^('"${name}"')/,"")'

Regards,
JS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading in arguments with spaces

I want to be able to read in input which contain spaces and put that into an array. Each field should be delimeted by a space and should be a different array element. However I cant get it to work. any tips? read input //type field1 field2 field3 echo "$input" array="$input" Thanks in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print filenames with spaces using awk

Hello all, I want to list the file contents of the directory and number them. I am using la and awk to do it now, #ls |awk '{print NR "." $1}' 1. alpha 2. beta 3. gamma The problem I have is that some files might also have some spaces in the filenames. #ls alpha beta gamma ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print arguments with the help of variable

Let's say I want to print the arguments $4 till $#, how can I do this? $# contains the number of arguments $@ contain all the arguments as string What i need is something like for i in $4_till_$#; do #do something with $i convert $i ~/$output done The first 3 arguments are used as options... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print files with spaces using awk

When I use: find . -ls | awk 'BEGIN { OFS = ";"} {print $1,$2,$11}'I get a nice result, yet the files with spaces in it show only the first word and all other characters after the blank space are not printed. e.g. 'file with a blank space' is printed file 'file_with a blank space' is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print arguments in reverse order?

Hey all, How do I make a script print its arguments in reverse order? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to print dynamic arguments in for loop

Hi All, I want to pass few dynamic arguments to shell script. The number of arguments differ each time I call the script. I want to print the arguments using the for loop as below. But not working out. for (( i=1; i<=$#; i++ )) do echo $"($i)" done /bin/sh test.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laalesh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK print last field including SPACES

I have simple test.sh script, see below: bill_code=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` Fullname=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` email=`echo $record | awk -F\ '{print $4}'` The last field contains spaces: see csv below: A0222|Y|DELACRUZ|-cc dell@yahoo.com-cc support@yahoo.com ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quay
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print arguments using array elements not working?

Hey guys, I'm new to shell scripting and I'm trying to write a script that takes user input and copies the specified columns from a data file to a new one. In order to account for the possibility of a variable number of columns to copy I wrote a loop that encodes the user's choices in an array... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaner
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print columns with text and spaces

Hi, I'm using awk to print columns from a tab delimited text file: awk '{print " "$2" "$3" $6"}' file The problem I have is column 6 contains text with spaces etc which means awk only prints the first word. How can I tell awk to print the whole column content as column 6? Thanks, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: keenboy100
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print string with removing all spaces

Hi all, I want to set 10 set of strings into a variable where: removing all spaces within each string change the delimiter from "|" to "," Currently, I've the below script like this:Table=`ten character strings with spaces in-between and each string with delimiter "|" | tr -d ' ' |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: o1283c
7 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)