Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on how to call a utility from script Post 302158533 by innocent on Tuesday 15th of January 2008 05:56:53 PM
Old 01-15-2008
Help on how to call a utility from script

Hi,

I am new to shell scripting (sh)
I need a script which will call a utility & once u call it.It will ask for inputs on the screen.These inputs it needs to get or read from a txt file.

for e.g
#! /bin/sh
while read line
do
echo $line
done

txt file will have
test
01/01/2008

pls can u help me on how to call any utility or program from script and read file for inputs.

Thks in adv.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cdrdao utility script

friends, i love ya... i wrote a script to automate using cdrdao to burn an audio cd from mp3 files, using the great tutorial at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/MP3-CD-Burning/index.html (check out the site, i believe that it's very well-written). i messed around with it and got to a place where i felt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snwright
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort utility in script ?

Hi friends, I want to use sort command in script. I used the following syntax in my scipt, sort -t '|' +3 tempcdrext4.cdr > temp.mocdr It give me a error " Input file specified two times." but this command work fine in the prompt without any problem. Can sombody please tell me who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help on SCRIPT(1M) utility

Hi All, I need to do a lot of manual entries at shell prompt. So to collect the logs(each command fired in that session, i use "SCRIPT(1) : make typescript of terminal session" this is kool,but the problem here is that it saves the linefeed, and backspaces along with the commands in the log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit4g
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a Utility Script

Hi All ,, I have couple of shell scripts .. I am trying to build a Utility script which would call each script example :: ======== 1) uni.sh 2) uni2.sh 3)uni3.sh when i run the Util script it will come as a menu ,, once i press 1 it will call the first shell script and runs it ..... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not working...select utility

#!/usr/bin/bash name="$@" myname=malay #echo $myname select firstname in $name; do if ;then echo $firstname else break fi done invoking with:- ./script.sh one two three four five six seven eight nine malay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help to run this utility from a shell script

I need some help to run this executable from within a shell script. The Script is run the following way at the command prompt. $rateupd Main Menu --Standard Output ----------- --Standard Output 1. - Update Rate --Standard Output 2. - Exit. --Standard Output Enter Selection: 1 --User... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeeb_d
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sendmail utility in K Shell script

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and thus any help will be highly appreciated. I need to write a K shell script where in the email sending feature should be handled by sendmail utility and I have come up with the following : #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "This is a test mailest mail" | /usr/lib/sendmail... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdiptanil
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

script similar to rm utility

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: saferm is a replacement for the rm utility. Rather than removing files, it move files in a sub directoy called".saferm" in the user's home directory. If "~/.saferm" doesn't exist, it is automatically created. The -l options lists the ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joey12
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

which shell command or utility will call the net device driver?

Hi, all: Which shell command or utility will call the open(), close(), hard_start_xmit(), rtl8139_rx(), or interrupt() functions in a network device driver I am debugging? Can "ping", "ftp", "scp", or "internet browser" finally call them? Best regards! li, kunlun (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to automation utility app

Hi All, Am trying to write a shell script to automate one of the product utility but am struck with how to send/key in the inputs and most importantly it requires to press "Enter" key every time after giving the input. Not sure how to take control of utility from script and key in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD