Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK substitution Post 302158435 by radoulov on Tuesday 15th of January 2008 09:43:32 AM
Old 01-15-2008
Code:
awk '$1=="account"{$3=$2}1' FS="|" OFS="|" filename

or

Code:
awk '($1=="account"&&$3=$2)||1' FS="|" OFS="|" filename

Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk variable substitution

for the command below, it looks for the 3rd field value matching "P" and printing it. awk '{if ($3 == "P") print}' file how would i express this if i use a loop to find more that 1 variable fro a list? this doesn't seem to work... cat list | while read n do awk '{if ($3 == "$n") print}'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apalex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filed substitution with awk

guys, I'm trying to 9k lines of the following: aaa aaa 1 1 1 to aaa aaa 1 01 1 Im pretty ignorant when it comes to subtituting fields using awk any help ? Tony (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tony3101
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution of char with AWK

I created a file contains: create table .....; create index ....; create trigger...; and I want to substitue from my file ; by ;-- from the line where appears create trigger to the end of the file and keep intact the create table step and index in the file. awk '/CREATE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario dionne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with awk substitution

Hi again. A have a CSV-file in the following format: 2008.09.01,15:17:42,9227096485,9233175320,CTC10,SMS,0901151742098314,Target_MSIS DN_is_blacklisted I want to have an awk command that will say: If the first 3 digits of $4 does not begin with 922 or 923, then make $8 say "Invalid... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using awk/gawk

Hello, I have a file containing lines such as: (1 104 (16) (17) (18) (102))$ (1 105 (16) (17) (19:21) (102))$ I would like to extract the numbers, only by using awk (or gawk). I do not want to use "sed" as it is very slow. For now my solution consists in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution in AWK

I am trying to use AWK to replace dallinux02 to dallinux03 everywhere in the servers.txt file and move it over to "awk2". Here is my script "awk2.awk": gsub(/dallinux02/, "dallinux03"); print > "awk2" I am trying to run this using the following: $ awk -f awk2.awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ora_umair
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution in awk

Hi, I have a variable to be substituted in awk. I am using AIX 5.3. Here is my piece of code: REPL_DT=`date +'%Y\\\\\\\\\/%m\\\\\\\\\/%d'` NEW_LINE=$(echo $Line | awk '{sub ($4, '$REPL_DT'); printf "# %-7s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}') sed $n" s/.*/$NEW_LINE/" kfile > tmp mv tmp kfile Here,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparison and substitution

Hi, here's my - not so easy to describe - problem: I want to compare the values of one file (FileA) with a cutoff-value and, if this comparison is true, substitute those values with those in the second file (FileB). However, there are many FileA's (FileA), whereas there is only one FileB. Every... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: waddle
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substitution

Hi all, I need some help with substitution in awk. Is it possible to substitute field from awk output with string from file? For example: zcat /SMS/CDR/cdr_TC/callLogs*_*_2013092710*.gz | sed 's/:/;/g' | awk -F";" '{if($2==1 && $10~/389123456789/) print $36";"$37}' 2;19733248 I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does awk have parameter substitution?

Can I specify a default value to a variable in AWK like BASH in one statement using parameter substitution? BASH example: argument=${$1-"default if empty"} (BASH) I know I can do: argument=$1; sub ( "^$", "default if empty", argument) (AWK) Mike (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
13 Replies
CHFN(1) 							   User Commands							   CHFN(1)

NAME
chfn - change real user name and information SYNOPSIS
chfn [-f full_name] [-r room_no] [-w work_ph] [-h home_ph] [-o other] [user] DESCRIPTION
The chfn command changes user fullname, office number, office extension, and home phone number information for a user's account. This information is typically printed by finger(1) and similar programs. A normal user may only change the fields for her own account, subject to the restrictions in /etc/login.defs. (The default configuration is to prevent users from changing their fullname.) The superuser may change any field for any account. Additionally, only the superuser may use the -o option to change the undefined portions of the GECOS field. These fields must not contain any colons. Except for the other field, they should not contain any comma or equal sign. It is also recommended to avoid non-US-ASCII characters, but this is only enforced for the phone numbers. The other field is used to store accounting information used by other applications. If none of the options are selected, chfn operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. Without options, chfn prompts for the current user account. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: CHFN_RESTRICT (string) This parameter specifies which values in the gecos field of the /etc/passwd file may be changed by regular users using the chfn program. It can be any combination of letters f, r, w, h, for Full name, Room number, Work phone, and Home phone, respectively. For backward compatibility, yes is equivalent to rwh and no is equivalent to frwh. If not specified, only the superuser can make any changes. The most restrictive setting is better achieved by not installing chfn SUID. FILES
/etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. /etc/passwd User account information. SEE ALSO
chsh(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHFN(1)