Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unable to create any directory that uses numbers as the directory name Post 302157963 by techno_brain on Sunday 13th of January 2008 07:54:49 PM
Old 01-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookups
The posted binary is not the exact same as md5sums do not match. However, the file size is spot on. Also the same characteristics. Namely, the binary looks to be broken, but still loadable by the linux kernel:

---
[badfile@host badfiles]$ readelf -a ./mount
ELF Header:
Magic: 7f 45 4c 46 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Class: none
Data: none
Version: 0
OS/ABI: UNIX - System V
ABI Version: 0
Type: EXEC (Executable file)
Machine: Intel 80386
Version: 0x1
Entry point address: 0x1df26054
Start of program headers: 52 (bytes into file)
Start of section headers: 0 (bytes into file)
Flags: 0x0
Size of this header: 52 (bytes)
Size of program headers: 32 (bytes)
Number of program headers: 1
Size of section headers: 0 (bytes)
Number of section headers: 0
Section header string table index: 0

There are no sections in this file.

There are no section groups in this file.

Program Headers:
Type Offset VirtAddr PhysAddr FileSiz MemSiz Flg Align
LOAD 0x000000 0x1df26000 0x1df26000 0x8453f 0x13e000 RWE 0x1000

There is no dynamic section in this file.

There are no relocations in this file.

There are no unwind sections in this file.

No version information found in this file.
[badfile@host badfiles]$ objdump -d ./mount
objdump: ./mount: File format not recognized
[badfile@host badfiles]$ file ./mount
mount: ELF invalid class invalid byte order (SYSV)
---

strace as unprivileged user show one system call to 'sysinfo()' with the argument of '0'. It returns an error:

---
[badfile@host evil_mount]$ strace ./mount
execve("./mount", ["./mount"], [/* 22 vars */]) = 0
sysinfo(0) = -1 EFAULT (Bad address)
---

Going to look further into the binary from an analysis workstation I have setup and see if I can get any more information.

Cheers,
Hookups
Any news on this issue guys.... waiting for any solution...
techno_brain

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to create directory in /apps

well, I'm completely stumped so I'm hopeful that someone here may have an answer...one of my development machines is running Solaris 8 and I've been trying to create a folder in /apps. it gives me this message: mkdir: Failed to make directory "*******"; Operation not applicable I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkrotz
2 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to open directory from user

when ever i trying to give df -k from user showing permisson denied for one directory named samba.if i trying to give from root user samba directory is opening. shut@praveen#df -k df: cannot statvfs /samba/tcgt_tendering: Permission denied if i give from root user (df -k) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
4 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

5. Linux

Unable to change the permission for directory

unable to chnage the ownership as group does not exist ls -ltr drwxr-xr-x 2 1520291 remote 1024 Sep 25 2014 img root@servername#chown content:remote img chown: img: Not owner (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghur77
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Create new directory and move files to that directory.?

Hi All, We have main directory called "head" under this we have several sub directories and under these directories we have sub directories. My requirement is I have to find the SQL files which are having the string "procedure" under "head" directory and sub directories as well. And create... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to cd to a directory

I am getting the below error when cd to a directory. cd /u/Mont /bin/ksh: cd: /u/Mont: ls -ltrd /u/Mont lrwxrwxrwx 1 user1 testuser 5 Dec 1 11:39 /u/Mont -> Mont uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v Can you please resolve the error and explain why is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create directory and sub-directory with awk and bash

In the below I am trying to create a parent directory using the R_2019 line from f1 if what above it is not empty. I then create sub-directories under each parent if there is a match between $2 of f1 and $2. Inside each sub-folder the matching paths in $3 and $4 in f2are printed. If there is no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
READELF(1)						       GNU Development Tools							READELF(1)

NAME
readelf - Displays information about ELF files. SYNOPSIS
readelf [-a|--all] [-h|--file-header] [-l|--program-headers|--segments] [-S|--section-headers|--sections] [-e|--headers] [-s|--syms|--symbols] [-n|--notes] [-r|--relocs] [-u|--unwind] [-d|--dynamic] [-V|--version-info] [-A|--arch-specific] [-D|--use-dynamic] [-x <number>|--hex-dump=<number>] [-w[liaprmfFso]| --debug-dump[=line,=info,=abbrev,=pubnames,=ranges,=macro,=frames,=frames-interp,=str,=loc]] [-I|-histogram] [-v|--version] [-W|--wide] [-H|--help] elffile... DESCRIPTION
readelf displays information about one or more ELF format object files. The options control what particular information to display. elffile... are the object files to be examined. 32-bit and 64-bit ELF files are supported, as are archives containing ELF files. This program performs a similar function to objdump but it goes into more detail and it exists independently of the BFD library, so if there is a bug in BFD then readelf will not be affected. OPTIONS
The long and short forms of options, shown here as alternatives, are equivalent. At least one option besides -v or -H must be given. -a --all Equivalent to specifiying --file-header, --program-headers, --sections, --symbols, --relocs, --dynamic, --notes and --version-info. -h --file-header Displays the information contained in the ELF header at the start of the file. -l --program-headers --segments Displays the information contained in the file's segment headers, if it has any. -S --sections --section-headers Displays the information contained in the file's section headers, if it has any. -s --symbols --syms Displays the entries in symbol table section of the file, if it has one. -e --headers Display all the headers in the file. Equivalent to -h -l -S. -n --notes Displays the contents of the NOTE segment, if it exists. -r --relocs Displays the contents of the file's relocation section, if it has one. -u --unwind Displays the contents of the file's unwind section, if it has one. Only the unwind sections for IA64 ELF files are currently sup- ported. -u --unwind Displays the contents of the file's unwind section, if it has one. Only the unwind sections for IA64 ELF files are currently sup- ported. -d --dynamic Displays the contents of the file's dynamic section, if it has one. -V --version-info Displays the contents of the version sections in the file, it they exist. -A --arch-specific Displays architecture-specific information in the file, if there is any. -D --use-dynamic When displaying symbols, this option makes readelf use the symbol table in the file's dynamic section, rather than the one in the sym- bols section. -x <number> --hex-dump=<number> Displays the contents of the indicated section as a hexadecimal dump. -w[liaprmfFso] --debug-dump[=line,=info,=abbrev,=pubnames,=ranges,=macro,=frames,=frames-interp,=str,=loc] Displays the contents of the debug sections in the file, if any are present. If one of the optional letters or words follows the switch then only data found in those specific sections will be dumped. -I --histogram Display a histogram of bucket list lengths when displaying the contents of the symbol tables. -v --version Display the version number of readelf. -W --wide Don't break output lines to fit into 80 columns. By default readelf breaks section header and segment listing lines for 64-bit ELF files, so that they fit into 80 columns. This option causes readelf to print each section header resp. each segment one a single line, which is far more readable on terminals wider than 80 columns. -H --help Display the command line options understood by readelf. SEE ALSO
objdump(1), and the Info entries for binutils. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1991, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled ``GNU Free Documentation License''. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWbinutils | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for GNU binutils is available on http://opensolaris.org. binutils-2.14.91 2004-04-09 READELF(1)