Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tuning kernel parameters
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tuning kernel parameters Post 302157895 by JamesByars on Sunday 13th of January 2008 01:36:14 PM
Old 01-13-2008
tuning kernel parameters

Can only root do this, or can other users too? if other users can, do they have to be given permission, and if so, is there a file or something that stores this?

Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

kernel parameters

I want to change some kernel parameters in HP-UX11, to do with Oracle upgrade/install. I know this is done using SAM. I am told SAM will not let you enter values outside the allowable range. Could anyone tell me if they have experienced anything different? In Solaris, I would copy the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
2 Replies

2. AIX

Disk tuning parameters

I swapped out 2 72 gb disk drives for 2 146 gb drives, both of which spin at 15k. Are there any I/O parameters I should modify or can modify to get the most out of the new disks? Thanks, Mike M. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gravy26
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Kernel parameters.

I've been trying to find out the following parameters of our Unix box: ==>OS version ==> patch level and the following kernel parameters =>maxfiles_lim =>maxvgs =>nproc =>msgmni =>ncsize =>nfile Could someone help me how would I find the above(commands)? Thanks, Bhagat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
1 Replies

4. Solaris

maxuser - kernel tuning solaris 8

Hi all Seem to have a concurrent processes issue on a server of mine. At peak times, the application vendor reckons we need to up the amount, as it is reaching its limit and preventing any more processes. Looking in /etc/system, nothing has been set, so server is running with default... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

5. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Kernel Parameters

Dear All, I want to check whether all essential kernel parameters are installed in my Solaris 10 System. Is there any way to find it. And also how to tune it. Kindly help. Thanks and Regards Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What exactly does Kernel parameters do ?

Virtual Machine running on VMWare workstation 9.2 os : RHEL 5.8 RAM : 2.5GB Swap : 2.6gb CPU : 1 virtual CPU Surprizingly I couldn't find much from googling on What exactly does Kernel parameters do ? I was under the impression that kernel parameters just set the limits/maximum for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

9. AIX

Network tuning parameters on AIX

Hi, we've a gigabit Ethernet adapter. And we wanted to improve the performance by tuning network parameters. so' as per IBM info center, http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.prftungd%2Fdoc%2Fprftungd%2Fnetw_opt.htm we tried changing the tuning... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
2 Replies
pmvarrun(8)							     pam_mount							       pmvarrun(8)

Name
       pmvarrun - updates /var/run/pam_mount/user

Syntax
       pmvarrun -u user [options]

Description
       A  separate  program is needed so that /var/run/pam_mount/user may be created with a pam_mount-specific security context (otherwise SELinux
       policy will conflict with gdm, which also creates file in /var/run).

pmvarrun is flexible and can run in a number of different security setups:

root-root
       When pmvarrun is invoked as root, /var/run/pam_mount's permission settings can be as strict as needed; usually (0755,root,root) is  a  good
       pick  as  it  gives  users the debug control over their refcount. Refcount files are given their respective owners (chowned to the user who
       logs in).

user-user
       When invoked as the user who logs in, /var/run/pam_mount needs appropriate permissions to create a file, which means the write bit must	be
       set. It is also highly suggested to set the sticky bit in this case, so other users do not tamper with your refcount.

root-user
       Some  programs or login helpers incorrectly call the PAM stack in a way that the login phase is done as root and the logout phase as a nor-
       mal user.  Nevertheless, pmvarrun supports this, and the same permissions as in root-root can be used. While the user may not  be  able	to
       unlink his file from /var/run/pam_mount, it will be truncated to indicate the same state.

Options
       --help, -h
	      Display help.

--user user, -u user
	      User to handle, must be a valid username.

--operation number, -o number
	      Increase volume count by number.

-d     Turn on debugging.

Files
       /var/run/pam_mount/user

Author
       This  manpage  was originally written by Bastian Kleineidam <calvin@debian.org> for the Debian distribution of libpam-mount but may be used
       by others.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/pam_mount/AUTHORS for the list of original authors of pam_mount.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							       pmvarrun(8)