Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IGNITE / Make recovery
Operating Systems HP-UX IGNITE / Make recovery Post 302157812 by mr_manny on Saturday 12th of January 2008 05:22:40 PM
Old 01-12-2008
we still use make_tape_recovery on half of our servers...the other half create an ignite image on an ignite server via make_net_recovery.

If upgrading your ignite is not an option, it might be better to simply replace your dds drive.

Drives are pretty affordable these days, with usually a zero impact to server during installation.

good luck,
manny

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Creating A Make Recovery Tape

A customer called me and stated that when they created a make recovery tape for their hp-ux 9000/770, it wiped out three of their volume groups from the lvmtab, fstab, /dev directory(all associated files). I didn't believe them until I conducted a tech assist. I restored their system by recreating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spawarrior
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

make recovery tape for solaris

Hello All I am need of amke recover tape for solaris.Could anybody tell me how do i create a make recovery tape for solaris.I am on sun-solaris 2.8 regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

without an ignite server ??

system: HP-UX 10.20 with HFS mounted. How can I convert the HFS to VxFS without an ignite server ? Is this possible ? thanks simon2000 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
4 Replies

4. AIX

make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi, Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system. The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw). I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevek007
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Need Ignite for HP-UX 10.20

Hello All, I need to bring down our old 9000 series d350, but my supervisor wants an ignite backup created. I cannot find ignite in the usual places (/opt/ignite) nor can I find it in swlist. As far as I can tell the cd's are long gone. Is there anywhere else I could look for ignite being... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stay0ut
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

Ignite and HP-UX 09.XX

I am looking to make bootable tape backups of four machines running HP-UX 09.02, 09.05 and 09.07. I successfully located Ignite 10.20 and installed it and made a backup on the one machine running HP-UX 10.20. I am having trouble locating information about Ignite for HP-UX 9. Does it exist? Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whack_job
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Ignite - make_net_recovery

I've read the Ignite User/Admin Guide but I'm having trouble figuring out if I can do a make_net_recovery if the ignite server and client server are on completely different networks? If this can be done is there any special configuration? If I initiate the command from the server it looks like it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Ignite

Hi Does anybody know how to get hold of a very old (A.3.7.n) copy of the ignite software depot for HP-UX 10.20? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

Ignite recovery issue.

On one of the Hpvm server when I try to do the ignite recovery it aborts after recovering only 30 % of the archive. I do not have any other archive backup besides this. Even after restoring the 30 archive I could see that I am able to login to that server althoug ssh and other functionalities... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
9 Replies
mt-dds(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mt-dds(1)

NAME
mt-dds - tool to control a dds device. SYNOPSIS
mt-dds comp-on|comp-off|comp-query|comp-log mt-dds < tell|label > [ -b # ] DESCRIPTION
mt-dds controls the compression mode of dds tape devices (DAT). mt-dds may also report the current tape position in absolute records (relative to begin of tape) in a format that may be used later by dds2tar(1) to access tar archives that are not the first file on tape. The default device is /dev/nst0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be overridden with the -f device option. The device must be a character special file. OPTIONS
DDS tape device control options comp-on Enable the hardware compression mode if supported by the device. comp-off Disable the compression mode, switch to normal mode. comp-query Print to stderr if compression mode currently is disabled or enabled. A 0 means compression is disabled, a 1 means compression in enabled. comp-log Print to stdout four lines of information about transferred kilobytes before and after hardware compression from and to the device since initialization. dds2tar service functions tell Print three lines with the current tape position, a block size value (20 by default, may be overridden with -b option) and a block length value (blocksize*512) to stdout. If this output is redirected to a location file locfile, this file may be used by dds2tar(1) to access archives on tape. label If the current tape position is the beginning of an archive and the archive is labeled, mt-dds writes the label to stdout and moves the tape back to the current position (or back over the filemark). ts If the current tape position is the beginning of an archive and the archive is labeled, mt-dds writes the timestamp in octal format to stdout and moves the tape back to the current position (or back over the filemark). If you are using only one computer, the timestamp can be used as a unique archive identifier. -b # Specify the block size # value that is used as a default for the written value with the mt-dds tell command (see above). Also the internal buffer size is specified with this option which is used to read one block in order to get the block size of the current tape block. So specify the block size of the archive or a larger number. other options -f device Device of the tape archive (default is /dev/nst0). Must be a character special file connected to a dds tape device. -V,--version Print the version number of mt-dds to stderr and exit immediately. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example 1: checking the compression mode of the default tape device mt-dds comp-query Example 2: Write the location information as dds2tar command line options to stdout. mt-dds ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/nst0. PAGER The environment variable PAGER overrides the builtin pager command ("/bin/more") to display the output of the --help option. SEE ALSO
dds2tar(1), dds2index(1), mt(1), tar(1) HISTORY
This program was created to use it in conjunction with dds2tar. AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 mt-dds(1)