Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to set constrain on random numbers in c Post 302157414 by Perderabo on Thursday 10th of January 2008 11:13:29 PM
Old 01-11-2008
Your four variables are integers, each set to 1 + some integer. Three of them must stay at 1 and the fourth one can be two. Pick a number between 1 and 4 and increment only one variable based on that. You pick a 3, die3=2 and the rest stay at 1.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

seperating records with numbers from a set of numbers

I have two files one (numbers file)contains the numbers(approximately 30000) and the other file(record file) contains the records(approximately 40000)which may or may not contain the numbers from that file. I want to seperate the records which has the field 1=(any of the number from numbers... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

6. Programming

Random numbers in parent/child?

Hi I'm trying to generate random numbers both in parent process and the child process. But I get the same random number in both processes. Why doesn't it generate different numbers altough I seed random number generator? Here's my code: #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique random numbers awk

Hi, I have a small piece of awk code (see below) that generates random numbers. gawk -F"," 'BEGIN { srand(); for (i = 1; i <= 30; i++) printf("%s AM329_%04d\n",$0,int(36 * rand())+1) }' OFS=, AM329_hole_names.csv The code works fine and generates alphanumeric numbers like AM329_0001,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate random numbers in script

i want to generate a random number through a script, and even if anyone reads the script, they wont be able to figure out what the random number is. only the person who setup the script would know it. something like this could work: random the full thread is here: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies
rand(3C)																  rand(3C)

NAME
rand(), rand_r(), srand() - simple random-number generator SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
uses a multiplicative, congruential, random-number generator with period 2^32 that returns successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^15-1. can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. returns a random number at the address pointed to by the randval parameter. The seed parameter can be set at any time to start the random- number generator at an arbitrary point. Note The spectral properties of leave a great deal to be desired. provides a much better, though more elaborate, random-number generator (see drand48(3C)). RETURN VALUE
If seed or randval is NULL, returns 0. Otherwise, returns a psuedo-random integer. EXAMPLES
The following: int x, y; srand(10); x = rand(); y = rand(); would produce the same results as: int x, y, s = 10; x=rand_r(&s); y=rand_r(&s); WARNINGS
Users of should note that rand_r() now conforms with POSIX.1c. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), random(3M), thread_safety(5), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rand(3C)