Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardware RAID
Operating Systems Solaris Hardware RAID Post 302157175 by xramm on Thursday 10th of January 2008 09:42:05 AM
Old 01-10-2008
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_t03
I don't understood why on SPARC-Platforms have not present RAID-Controller ? Sorry for my bad english, but it's crazy always setup software RAID !!! I whanna Hardware RAID and when i can find solution ?
Some experts say ; HW RAID is better in general reliability than SW RAID after a reboot sometime SW RAID machines had problem in spite of that RAID 1 mirror is most reliable in category as its Performance is best during failure. Some notes about performance:

Striping generally has the best performance, but it offers no data
protection. For write-intensive applications, RAID 1 performs better
than RAID 5.
l RAID-1 and RAID-5 volumes both increase data availability.
Mirroring improves random read performance.
l RAID-5 volumes have a lower hardware cost than RAID-1 volumes,
while RAID-0 volumes have no additional hardware cost.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how to hardware RAID 1 on T5120

Hi, I have t5120 sparc and I have 2 146 G drives in the system. I will be installing solaris 10 and also want the system mirrored using Hardware RAID "1" The System did come preinstalled as it comes from sun. I did not do much on it. I booted system using boot cdrom -s gave format... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

2. Solaris

T2000 Hardware RAID

Hi, I have a root with hardware RAID on c0t0d0 and c0t2d0. I would like to set the boot device sequence in OBP for both hdds. I have checked in ls -l /dev/rdsk/ for the path of c0t2d0 but it does not exist. Can anyone shed some lights on this? AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: honmin
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Hardware Raid - LiveUpgrade

Hi, I have a question. Do LiveUpgrade supports hardware raid? How to choose the configuration of the system disk for Solaris 10 SPARC? 1st Hardware RAID-1 and UFS 2nd Hardware RAID-1 and ZFS 3rd SVM - UFS and RAID1 4th Software RAID-1 and ZFS I care about this in the future to take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

5. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

Hardware RAID in HP Unix rp3440

Hi Gurus, Can anyone tell me the Hardware RAID configuration in HP Unix rp3440 model server containing HP UX B.11.11 OS version. Thanks in Advance. BR, Prasanth (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanth438
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Hardware raid patching

Dear All , we have hardware raid 1 implemented on Solaris Disks. We need to patch the Servers. Kindly let me know how to patch hardware raid implemented Servers. Thanks... Rj (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware RAID using three disks

Dear All , Pl find the below command , # raidctl -l Controller: 1 Volume:c1t0d0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.3.0 # raidctl -l c1t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID Sub Size ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
10 Replies
IIR(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    IIR(4)

NAME
iir -- Intel Integrated RAID controller and ICP Vortex driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device iir Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): iir_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The iir driver claims to interface with the Intel integrated RAID controller cards, and all versions of the ICP Vortex controllers (including FC). HARDWARE
Controllers supported by the iir driver include: o Intel RAID Controller SRCMR o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-l (SRCU31a) o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-1L (SRCU31La) o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-2 (SRCU32) o All past and future releases of Intel and ICP RAID Controllers. o Intel RAID Controller SRCU21 (discontinued) o Intel RAID Controller SRCU31 (older revision, not compatible) o Intel RAID Controller SRCU31L (older revision, not compatible) The SRCU31 and SRCU31L can be updated via a firmware update available from Intel. SEE ALSO
cam(4), pass(4), xpt(4), camcontrol(8) AUTHORS
The iir driver is supported and maintained by Achim Leubner <Achim_Leubner@adaptec.com>. This manual page was written by Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> and is based on information supplied by the driver authors and the website of Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
August 8, 2004 BSD