Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tcl: regexp matching special character Post 302156764 by sumitgarg on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 03:43:17 AM
Old 01-09-2008
tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts,

Can someone help me here:

I have a variable which contains a string with "[]".

set var1 {a[1]}
set str1 {a[1] is the element i want to match}

Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work?
("regexp {a\[1\]} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script)

Is there a way to make it work?
(adding backslash "\" to var1 might not be feasible)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regexp matching

Hello, I cannot see what's wrong in my code. When I run code below, it just print an empty string. my $test = "SWER~~ERTGSDFGTHAS_RTAWGA_DFAS.x4-234253454.in"; if ($test = ~ m/\~{1,2}.*4/) { print "$1\n"; } else { print "No match...\n"; } Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: urandom
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching regexp

Hi, maybe it is stupid question, but is it possible to match expression like this ? : ... // ... ( there is "//" somewhere on the line and on the end of the line there ISN'T "*/" ) I've tried something like : (in SED) sed 's/\/\/' but I need "*/" not to be on the end of the line ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolage
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on TCL regexp and match

Hello everyone, I'm new in tcl scripting. I'm currently studying a tcl script and came across this line: regexp {(\d+)(\S?)} $opts match opt swi According to my understanding, this line means to search in the opts variable for one or more digit, followed by a non-whitespace character... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on regexp in TCL

I need some help with regexp in tcl. The following code does work if the $urlvar ends in jpg,jpeg,png or gif. Eg, protocol(http/https)://testsite.com/images/image1.jpg if { ! } { //Do something } My problem is that if the URL does not end in these extensions this regexp is of no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ampak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp in tcl

I need to change R3.1.5 as 03015 similarly R4.1.7 as 04017 i need a single command in tcl pls help ---------- Post updated at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:48 PM ---------- i had to do like this without using regexp set old_release "R3.1.5" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using regexp in a TCL script ??

In a tcl script I need to find a way of reading a file, and looking for a phrase ("set myvariable") and putting the word following that into a variable. I've used a file open, and a while loop with gets to read each line from the file into a variable, and using regexp searched for the item. I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tonyb61
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Character issue in Expect Utility (Tcl)

Hi, I have written a unix expect utility "ssh-login.exp" which connects (ssh) to remote host and execute some shell script. I am calling this "ssh-login.exp" utility from another shell script. "ssh-login.exp" takes username, password, host and shell script path to execute on remote host. All... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh Desai
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TCL script to delete a pattern(regexp)

Hi I am writing a TCL script to delete a certain in a file My Input file module bist_logic_inst(a, ab , dhd, dhdh , djdj, hdh, djjd, jdj, dhd, dhp, dk ); input a; input ab; input dhd; input djdj; input dhd; output hdh; output djjd; output jdj; output dk; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
regexp(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 regexp(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
regexp - Match a regular expression against a string SYNOPSIS
regexp ?switches? exp string ?matchVar? ?subMatchVar subMatchVar ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Determines whether the regular expression exp matches part or all of string and returns 1 if it does, 0 if it doesn't, unless -inline is specified (see below). (Regular expression matching is described in the re_syntax reference page.) If additional arguments are specified after string then they are treated as the names of variables in which to return information about which part(s) of string matched exp. MatchVar will be set to the range of string that matched all of exp. The first subMatchVar will con- tain the characters in string that matched the leftmost parenthesized subexpression within exp, the next subMatchVar will contain the char- acters that matched the next parenthesized subexpression to the right in exp, and so on. If the initial arguments to regexp start with - then they are treated as switches. The following switches are currently supported: -about Instead of attempting to match the regular expression, returns a list containing information about the regular expression. The first element of the list is a subexpression count. The second element is a list of property names that describe vari- ous attributes of the regular expression. This switch is primarily intended for debugging purposes. -expanded Enables use of the expanded regular expression syntax where whitespace and comments are ignored. This is the same as speci- fying the (?x) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -indices Changes what is stored in the subMatchVars. Instead of storing the matching characters from string, each variable will con- tain a list of two decimal strings giving the indices in string of the first and last characters in the matching range of characters. -line Enables newline-sensitive matching. By default, newline is a completely ordinary character with no special meaning. With this flag, `[^' bracket expressions and `.' never match newline, `^' matches an empty string after any newline in addition to its normal function, and `$' matches an empty string before any newline in addition to its normal function. This flag is equivalent to specifying both -linestop and -lineanchor, or the (?n) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -linestop Changes the behavior of `[^' bracket expressions and `.' so that they stop at newlines. This is the same as specifying the (?p) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -lineanchor Changes the behavior of `^' and `$' (the ``anchors'') so they match the beginning and end of a line respectively. This is the same as specifying the (?w) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -nocase Causes upper-case characters in string to be treated as lower case during the matching process. | -all | Causes the regular expression to be matched as many times as possible in the string, returning the total number of matches | found. If this is specified with match variables, they will continue information for the last match only. | -inline | Causes the command to return, as a list, the data that would otherwise be placed in match variables. When using -inline, | match variables may not be specified. If used with -all, the list will be concatenated at each iteration, such that a flat | list is always returned. For each match iteration, the command will append the overall match data, plus one element for | each subexpression in the regular expression. Examples are: | regexp -inline -- {w(w)} " inlined " | => {in n} | regexp -all -inline -- {w(w)} " inlined " | => {in n li i ne e} | -start index | Specifies a character index offset into the string to start matching the regular expression at. When using this switch, `^' | will not match the beginning of the line, and A will still match the start of the string at index. If -indices is speci- | fied, the indices will be indexed starting from the absolute beginning of the input string. index will be constrained to | the bounds of the input string. -- Marks the end of switches. The argument following this one will be treated as exp even if it starts with a -. If there are more subMatchVar's than parenthesized subexpressions within exp, or if a particular subexpression in exp doesn't match the string (e.g. because it was in a portion of the expression that wasn't matched), then the corresponding subMatchVar will be set to ``-1 -1'' if -indices has been specified or to an empty string otherwise. SEE ALSO
re_syntax(n), regsub(n) KEYWORDS
match, regular expression, string Tcl 8.3 regexp(n)