Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C language to calculate mean,variance Post 302156551 by cdfd123 on Tuesday 8th of January 2008 12:52:02 PM
Old 01-08-2008
Java C language to calculate mean,variance

Here I want to calculate mean,variance and sum from a file
1.1*2*4*22*211*22*12*22*22*11
2.2*2*22*12*22*11*11*122*33*22
3.9*7*22*88*87*98*67*66*56*66*11
As this is a large file and i am trying to write in c

where formulae of

MEAN = 1/N (X1...+..Xn)
Variance = square root of 1/N-1 (X1+.,,Xn - mean)2

So simply question say in this example we have one file where first part want to calculate mean and variance
again second part calculate mean and variance ..respectively and save the result

#include <math.h>
void moment(float data[], int n, float *ave, float *var)

{
void nrerror(char error_text[]);
int j;
float ep=0.0,s,p;
if (n <= 1) nrerror("n must be at least 2 in moment");

s=0.0;
for (j=1;j<=n;j++) s += data[j];
*ave=s/n;

what will be the code for variance?
Can rewrite the program with mentioning of open file and closing of file
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate output

I was wondering can anyone give me a clue how to start script which would do the following: I have 2 numbers as input for example: 100 and 1000 and I need to create file and in that file should be written 100 - 199 200 - 299 300 - 399 400 - 499 500 - 599 600 - 699 700 - 799... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating variance in perl programming

#!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; open(FH,"$ARGV") or die; my @temp=<FH>; close FH; my $mean = Mean(\@temp); my $var = variance(\@temp); print "$var\n"; sub estimate_variance { my ($arrayref) = @_; my ($mean,$result) = (mean($arrayref),0); foreach (@$arrayref) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

3. AIX

calculate time

Hi, How do I calculate time? I need to create an alert if a process is running more than 30 minutes. I need to get the first time and then get another, calculate it if more than 30 mins and then alert it to pager. Can't find it in internet. Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Calculate

I have 2 variables in my shell scripts in which i am using awk and calculating 2 files and getting 2 different variable called in_total and out_total. I want to subtract one variable from another so plz tell me how i can do that. Example is: cat in_file | awk -F: '{ in_total += $1 * 86400... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_sicsr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate age of a file | calculate time difference

Hello, I'm trying to create a shell script (#!/bin/sh) which should tell me the age of a file in minutes... I have a process, which delivers me all 15 minutes a new file and I want to have a monitoring script, which sends me an email, if the present file is older than 20 minutes. To do... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: worm
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk total and variance

File1 0358 Not Visible ***:* NA:NA RDF1+TDEV Grp'd (M) RW 102413 0359 Not Visible ***:* NA:NA RDF1+TDEV N/Grp'd (m) RW - 035A Not Visible ***:* NA:NA RDF1+TDEV N/Grp'd (m) RW - 035B Not Visible ***:* NA:NA ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating Running Variance Using Awk

Hi all, I am attempting to calculate a running variance for a file containing a column of numbers. I am using the formula variance=sum((x-mean(x))^2)/(n-1), where x is the value on the current row, and mean(x) is the average of all of the values up until that row. n represents the total number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK sample variance

I would like to calculate 1/n In awk, I wrote the following line for the sigma summation: { summ+=($1-average)^2 } Full code: BEGIN { Print "This script calculate error estimates"; sum=0 } { sum+=$1; n++ } END { average = sum/n } BEGIN { summ=0 } { summ+=($1-average)^2 } END { print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculate

i have file input abcedef|wert|13|03|10|04|23|A1|13|05|01|09|31 fsdasdf|ferg|12|04|25|21|21|A1|13|02|26|20|31 dfsfsad|gerg|12|04|25|21|21|A1|13|02|25|25|31 i expect the output abcedef|wert|13|03|10|04|23|A1|13|05|01|09|31|9.516666667... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare sum of two columns if variance is zero do nothing else send an email

11☺Hi, I have to data sets: One is in .txt format and other is in .csv format, please refer below two outputs from two files. File1.txt SOURCE PAYDATE TOTAL_DOLLARS RECORD_COUNT ASSET 05/25/2018 247643.94 ASSET 06/20/2018 ... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahir_M
27 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)