Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find RedHat version.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Find RedHat version. Post 302152623 by idle on Thursday 20th of December 2007 03:28:02 PM
Old 12-20-2007
you can get the full version from /etc/issue. I don't know of any more direct way of getting the RedHat version. Most system methods will give you the kernel version.

You have to remember that RedHat is just the distribution. All the system stuff is related to the kernel and the architecture. System calls will be designed with this in mind.

You can also supposedly get the info from /proc/version, but I've never seen that match the actual distro version number, so that might be a red herring.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat linux version

Guys How do i know the version of linux (Redhat) on one of our systems..Thanks in advance..The uname -r gives 2.4.18-0.13..Is it the kernel version (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linksys WPC11 Version 4 (NOT FOR REDHAT!)

I just purchased a Linksys WPC11 Version 4 wireless PCMCIA card, and am looking for the device driver for it. Apparently, as opposed to Version 1-4, it uses a RealTek 8180 chipset. However, the kernel module which Linksys released does not work on any other distribution EXCEPT for Redhat Linux.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

3. Linux Benchmarks

Dual Xeon 2.6, RedHat EL 4 ES, up to latest release version. 2.6.9 kernel

============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- Linux linux.hhc.ac.uk 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri May 20 18:26:27 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Start Benchmark Run: Wed Jul 6 15:06:07 BST 2005 1 interactive users.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat linux command to check Version

Hi All, I need to know RedHat linux version installed on a different servers. I know uname -a or /proc/version Is any other command to know the Linux version???? When we telnet to any of the Linux server, the version shows very clearly like Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

find redhat

how to find out the Red hat version using uname -a command. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat Enterprise version 4 RHEL4 patches

Hi, I would like to know if should i patch my system and sshd based on the version that i have here below: cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5) ------------ uname -a: redhat kernel version and type (64-bit or not) Linux server2 2.6.9-55.ELsmp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Differences in the version of RedHat linux 5.2 and 9.0.

hi , Can anybody please let me know the difference in the version of RedHat linux 5.2 and 9.0. Will there be any difference if i execute the script in RedHat linux 9.0 insead of RedHat linux 5.2? Thanks in Advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get Xconsole of Redhat 5 version.

Hi How would i get xconsole of redhat5 linux machine. Following is the distribution detail. # lsb_release -a LSB Version: :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Does devlable support RedHat Linux 5.5 or later version?

Dear Guru, Last time when I install ORACLE RAC with ASM, I have use udev to mapping the raw device. Someone told me that "devlable" is good tool to achieve that. But I can find the rpm package for Linux 5.5. Look devlable only for x86 system? Am I right? What is the different between: udev... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

RedHat version in rpm spec files

Hi In opensuse we have this nice version control variable I use much when designing rpm spec files: rpm --showrc | grep suse_version %if 0%{?suse_version} > 0 && 0%{?suse_version} < 1700 -14: suse_version 1140But I do not find anything close to this in rhel/centos The only way... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mortenb
0 Replies
RINSE(8)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  RINSE(8)

NAME
rinse - RPM Installation Entity. SYNOPSIS
rinse [options] Help Options: --help Show help information. --manual Read the manual for this script. --version Show the version information and exit. Mandatory Options: --arch Specify the architecture to install. --directory The directory to install the distribution within. --distribution The distribution to install. Customization Options: --add-pkg-list Additional packages to download and install --after-post-install Additionally run the specified script after the post install script. --before-post-install Additionally run the specified script before the post install script. --post-install Run the given post-install script instead of the default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro Misc Options: --cache Should we use a local cache? (Default is 1) --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Clean our cache of .rpm files. --config Specify a different configuration file. (Default is /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --pkgs-dir Specify a different directory containing <distribution>.packages files. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. (Default is to read it from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --list-distributions Show installable distributions. --print-uris Only show the RPMs which should be downloaded. default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro --verbose Enable verbose output. OPTIONS
--arch Specify the architecture to install. Valid choices are 'amd64' and 'i386' only. --add-pkg-list Add a list of additional packages. --cache Specify whether to cache packages (1) or not (0). --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Remove all cached .rpm files. --directory Specify the directory into which the distribution should be installed. --distribution Specify the distribution to be installed. --help Show help information. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. Normally this is read from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf. --list-distributions Show the distributions which are installable. --manual Read the manual for this script. --print-uris Only show the files we would download, don't actually do so. --verbose Enable verbose output. --version Show the version number and exit. DESCRIPTION
rinse is a simple script which is designed to be able to install a minimal working installation of an RPM-based distribution into a directory. The tool is analogous to the standard Debian GNU/Linux debootstrap utility. USAGE
To use this script you will need to be root. This is required to mount /proc, run chroot, and more. Basic usage is as simple as: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --directory /tmp/test This will download the required RPM files and unpack them into a minimal installation of Fedora Core 6. To see which RPM files would be downloaded, without actually performing an installation or downloading anything, then you may run the following: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --print-uris TODO
Short of supporting more distributions or architectures there aren't really any outstanding issues. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2011-2013 by Thomas Lange. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. 2.0.1 2013-01-28 RINSE(8)