Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Copy files from the file to another directory Post 302152609 by shreethik on Thursday 20th of December 2007 02:07:38 PM
Old 12-20-2007
Copy files from the file to another directory

I have created a file that has list of all the files I want to copy into another directory.Is there a way to do it?
Thanks In advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from one directory to another

I need to copy about 13 Tb of data from one directory and subdirectories to the other (another mount point). If I run this as a cron, say between 10 pm and 7 am, not all of the files will be copied over. Is there a way of 'resuming' the copy the following evenings until all files are copied over? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hd2006
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from one directory to another

Hi when copy the files from one directory to another as like below,it is tried to copy *. as a file. cp /home/rha/*. My objective is to copy all the files (don't care about case sensitive), Thanks in advance for your valuable reply. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HAA
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy all files into the same directory

Dear All, Again I have another simple question. :confused: I want to write a csh which can copy all files of a current directory with a new name in the same directory, I mean: If I have tree bird apple as files in a directory I want to give ,say number 007 as argument to my csh and it copies... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreamer0085
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using gsed with cp to sort files in directory - every N file copy to new place

Hi all, I'm having a problem with some basic piping issues... I have been able to get in a directory and ls | gsed in order to list every N file for instance: ls | gsed -n '2~5p' The thing is I want to be able to copy the output files to a new directory. Basically directory /all has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgoss
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regularly copy files to different directory with different file extentions

I have a NAS and I upload my videos to it from time to time. the video format is 3gp but my media player PBO could only play avi. I want to copy these files to different directory and change the extention from 3gp to avi. (yes I want to keep the original version and create a duplicate version with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: momentum
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files into another directory

I have a folder will a lot of documents (pdf, xls, doc etc.) which users have uploaded but only 20% of them are currently linking from my html files. So my goal is to copy only the files which are linked in my html files from my Document directory into another directory. Eg: My documents exist... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitha
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in text file to new directory

I am trying to write a script that will copy all file listed in a text file (100s of file names) to a new directory Assume script will run with main as current working directory and I know how many files/lines will be in List.txt Im trying to work up a test script using this model Contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAmTheGrass
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)