Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to transform a string to a variable? Post 302152267 by arunsuresh on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 10:07:44 AM
Old 12-19-2007
Bug

Spool the result of sql statement into a file.
/home/user/varfile
then in shell script
Varpath=`cat /home/user/varfile` 1>>/dev/null
echo $Varpath.

I have given this solution based on your lines. Its better if you can give more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to log transform

Hello. I'm trying to use the awk command to convert certains fields to lgo base 2, not base 10. I'm trying command lines like: awk '$2 $5 $7 {print log(2)($2), log(2)($5), $7) filein.txt > fileout.txt I'm trying to make a deadline. Thanks for helping a newbie. Here's some fresh karma... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmzcal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string, variable to file at the start and string at end

Hi , I have below file with 13 columns. I need 2-13 columns seperated by comma and I want to append each row with a string "INSERT INTO xxx" in the begining as 1st column and then a variable "$node" and then $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13 and at the end another string " ; COMMIT;" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

7. Programming

STL transform question

Hi all, I pass to the transform algorithm two vectors, and the suma function. #include <algorithm> #include <iostream> #include <iterator> #include <vector> using namespace std; class Duo{ public: int one; int two; }; Duo suma(Duo first, Duo last){ Duo ret; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transform columns to matrix

The following code transform the matrix to columns. Is it possible to do it other way around ( get the input from the output) ? input y1 y2 y3 y4 y5 x1 0.3 0.5 2.3 3.1 5.1 x2 1.2 4.1 3.5 1.7 1.2 x3 3.1 2.1 1.0 4.1 2.1 x4 5.0 4.0 6.0 7.0 1.1 output x1 y1 0.3 x2 y1 1.2 x3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep a sub-string from a string stored in a variable.

For example: I am grepping "Hello" from a file and there are 10 matches. So all ten lines with match will get stored into a variable($match). Now I want to ignore those lines which have "Hi" present in that. Currently I tried this: match = grep "Hello" file | grep -v "Hi" file But that's not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)