Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with spaces and argument parsing Post 302152208 by porter on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 03:30:37 AM
Old 12-19-2007
The \ escaping works for me on Solaris 9

C program compiled as a.out

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc,char **argv)
{
        int i=0;
        while (i < argc) { printf("argv[%d]=%s\n",i,argv[i]); i++; }

return 0;
}

script...

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./a.out java "-XX:OnError=\"gdb - %p\"" HelloWorld

output

Code:
argv[0]=./a.out
argv[1]=java
argv[2]=-XX:OnError="gdb - %p"
argv[3]=HelloWorld

similarly...

Code:
#!/bin/sh -x

./a.out java -XX:OnError=\"gdb\ -\ %p\" HelloWorld

gives

Code:
argv[0]=./a.out
argv[1]=java
argv[2]=-XX:OnError="gdb - %p"
argv[3]=HelloWorld

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument parsing...

Hi all, Iam a beginer in shell scripting. i need a script that can parse the arguments and store them in variables. ex: ./myScript -v v1 -h v2 -c v3...... can someone suggest me...? tnx in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: midhun_u
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with parsing filenames containing spaces

I tried using the following options to parse the *.sh files in a dir (the name can contain spaces). But each of them breaks: FILESSH=$(ls /mysh/*.sh) echo "$FILESSH" | while read FILE ; do --- do something --; done This does not break for any whitespaces in filenames for FILE in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicon007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Parsing Argument

i wanna passing an argument which read in a file or a set of files if the files are given in the command line, otherwise use STDIN if no file argument. i got something like that, but it is not really working. so can anyone help me? which one is better to use for and how? Use perl. Thank you ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about argument parsing in scripts

Hello all, I am relatively new to linux and bash scripting. I have what seems to be a simple question but I'm having trouble finding the answer. The question is what is the difference between the variables $@ and $*. I've seen them both used in the same context, and I've tried a number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicthu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing argument in perl

in bash: LIST=`cat $1` for i in $LIST do ... done how will i do this in perl ? $1 is my first arguement. I'm a newbie in perl and will appreciate much your help guys ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

The last argument contains spaces, how do I get it into a variable?

Gooday I have an argument string that contains 15 arguments. The first 14 arguments are easy to handle because they are separated by spaces ARG14=`echo ${ARGSTRING} | awk '{print $14}'` The last argument is a text that may be empty or contain spaces. So any ideas on how I get the last... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagga
23 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for spaces in input argument!

Hi guys, I have created a csh script which allows user to pass input argument with the script like: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t <value> -p <value> Example: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t 2.3 -p 0.05 Now I want to create an error code where if user passes input argument without spaces , the code... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script not parsing file with spaces in path

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write my first ever shell script, the OS is Raspbian. The code I have written must be executed whenever a certain database has been modified. The database resides on a Windows server to which I have a mount point, and I have no control over the Windows server at all so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjws
2 Replies
ant(1)							      General Commands Manual							    ant(1)

NAME
ant - a Java based make tool. SYNOPSIS
ant [OPTION]... [TARGET [TARGET2] [TARGET3] ...]] DESCRIPTION
Like make, ant is a tool that can compile Java projects. But unlike it, ant is based on Java which means that it will run on every platform that has a Java Virtual Machine. This makes it a great tool for building Java software. By default it takes information from build.xml which describes the targets. -help, -h print help on the command line options -projecthelp, -p print project help information -version print the version information and exit -diagnostics print information that might be helpful to diagnose or report problems. -quiet, -q be extra quiet -verbose, -v be extra verbose -debug, -d print debugging information -emacs, -e produce logging information without adornments -logfile <file>, -l <file> use given file for log -logger <classname> the class which is to perform logging -listener <classname> add an instance of class as a project listener -noinput do not allow interactive input -buildfile <file>, -file <file>, -f <file> use given buildfile -D<property>=<value> use value for given property -keep-going, -k execute all targets that do not depend on failed target(s) -propertyfile <file> load all properties from file with -D properties taking precedence -inputhandler <class> the class which will handle input requests -find <file>, -s <file> (s)earch for buildfile towards the root of the filesystem and use it -nice number A niceness value for the main thread: 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest); 5 is the default -nouserlib Run ant without using the jar files from ${user.home}/.ant/lib -noclasspath Run ant without using CLASSPATH -autoproxy Java 1.5+: use the OS proxy settings -main <class> override ant's normal entry point SEE ALSO
make(1) java(1) build.xml(5) Mac OS X June 22, 2009 ant(1)