Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with "xargs rm -i"
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with "xargs rm -i" Post 302152167 by royalibrahim on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 12:15:40 AM
Old 12-19-2007
problem with "xargs rm -i"

Hi,

I could not understand why the following command does not work
find . -name "foo" | xargs rm -i
but,
find . -name "foo" | xargs rm works perfectly alright.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe to "xargs rm" : filename with spaces

Hi all, Am piping a list of files to "xargs rm -v". The files may have spaces in their names. Please advise how do i deal with it... :confused: Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find . -name "*.*" | xargs grep "help"

Hi all, I am a unix noob. Need some basic help. I have tried using google, but not able to figure this out. Here are the scenarios: 1. How do I find a directory with a particular name, say "Merlin" in the entire file system? I tried : find / -type d -name "dir_name" The problem is I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference b/w xargs and "-exec" in Find

Hi, What is the difference between the following commands find . -type f -exec grep 'abc' {} \; and find . -type f | xargs grep 'abc' Appreciate your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files in sub dir with tag & add "." at the beginning [tag -f "Note" . | xargs -0 {} mv {} .{}]

I am trying find files in sub dir with certain tags using tag command, and add the period to the beginning. I can't use chflags hidden {} cause it doesn't add period to the beginning of the string for web purpose. So far with my knowledge, I only know mdfind or tag can be used to search files with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
lorder(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lorder(1)

NAME
lorder - Finds the best order for member files in an object library SYNOPSIS
lorder file... DESCRIPTION
The lorder command is essentially obsolete. Use the following command in its place: % ar -ts file.a The lorder command reads one or more object or library archive files, looks for external references, and writes a list of paired filenames to standard output. The first of each pair of files contains references to identifiers that are defined in the second file. You can send this list to the tsort command to find an ordering of a library member file suitable for 1-pass access by ld. If object files do not end with lorder overlooks them and attributes their global symbols and references to some other file. EXAMPLES
To create a subroutine library, enter: lorder charin.o scanfld.o scan.o scanln.o | tsort | xargs ar qv libsubs.a (Enter this command entirely on one line, not on two lines as shown above.) This creates a subroutine library named libsubs.a that contains charin.o, scanfld.o, scan.o, and scanln.o. The ordering of the object mod- ules in the library is important. The lorder and tsort commands together add the subroutines to the library in the proper order. Suppose that scan.o calls entry points in scanfld.o and scanln.o. scanfld.o also calls entry points in charin.o. First, the lorder command creates a list of pairs that shows these dependencies: charin.o charin.o scanfld.o scanfld.o scan.o scan.o scanln.o scanln.o scanfld.o charin.o scanln.o charin.o scan.o scanfld.o This list is piped to the tsort command, which converts the list into the ordering that is needed: scan.o scanfld.o scanln.o charin.o Note that each module precedes the module it calls. charin.o, which does not call another module, is last. The second list is then piped to xargs, which constructs and runs the following ar command: ar qv libsubs.a scan.o scanfld.o scanln.o charin.o This ar command creates the properly ordered library. FILES
Temporary files SEE ALSO
Commands: ar(1), as(1), cc(1), ld(1), make(1), nm(1), size(1), strip(1), tsort(1), xargs(1) Files: a.out(4), ar(4) lorder(1)