Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Idiot's Guide to Mac OSX BSD? Post 302152075 by gus2000 on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 01:10:17 PM
Old 12-18-2007
"rich tapestry of life" lol@Porter

One of the nice things about FOSS is that your favorite utilities can usually be compiled cross-platform. There's no need to port "ls" but if you've got a program that is opensource, you can compile it for OSX.

But I understand your frustrastion; there should be a "OS compatability pack" that I can install cross platform, so that when I run commands from the OS that I accustomed to, it will tell me "hey, that command doesn't work on this distro, try THIS command instead". Rather like high-tech training wheels.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX vs. UNIX

To anyone that has the answer: What does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. I am a programmer, and I am wondering if I could just get Mac OSX for my programming needs instead of UNIX. But my major question is what does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. Thank you if you have the answer, and are willing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: REM
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX question

Hi. Is it possible to execute a Cocoa (or Carbon or eaven a classic) program for mac OSX in the terminal window? OSX finder can sometimes be so busy that it wont respond for several minutes, ie if you are uploading a very big file/files to a afp server. Then it would have been nice to start... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicke30
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XWindows on Mac OSX

Hello, I'm like most people who post here, I'm new in UNIX. Yesterday I installed Xwindows on my OSX box just to learn as much about UNIX as I can. I been messing around with my terminal and conf files that have to do with Apache and sendmail and didn't mess anything up so I thought I was ready to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alpha_Harblo
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

ssh and Mac OSX

Please help if you are familiar with Mac OSX. I downloaded OpenSSH for a newer version of SSH than what comes with OS 10.1. What a mistake! Now every time I try to make a connection to my remote server I get an message that ssh was built against version such and such and I have version such and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glfisfn
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mac Osx.2

I finally broke down and decided to buy a new piece of hardware. I think I made the right decision when I chose an Apple iBook - OSX is incredible! I haven't used a Mac since System7.5, and 10.2 is just blowing me away! Best of all, it's easy to use for people who are not used to Mac, but if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
5 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

win-xp/mac-osx

I'm currently looking for an emulation program that would allow me to open and run osx app.s and programs on a windows xp based system. if not is there a unix/linux/lindows program that may do the same? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: area51nstk
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Mac OSX kernel

is there anyway of looking at, and if possible, modifying it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh pub key auth - can some please guide me idiot proof

hello. can somebody please idiot proff simple guide me how to set up ssh public key authenciation? i am stuck, i tried long and googled a lot but i cant get it. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
4 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Cron on Mac OSX

Hello, I was wondering about my Cron Script: HELL=/bin/tcsh PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin HOME=/var/log MAILTO=jwillis 25 1 * * * root /Users/jwillis/Fbcmd\Scripts/DailyBirthday.scrmy returned message is: Subject: Cron <jwillis@Macintosh-66> root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jwillis0720
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD