Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with spaces and argument parsing Post 302152058 by porter on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 11:51:01 AM
Old 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulous2
So what is the shell script doing in its interpretation of the text that the shell command line does not do that is causing this to fail?
The shell is interpreting

Code:
java  -XX:OnError=\"gdb - %p\"  HelloWorld

as the following list of arguments....

0: java
1: -X:OnError="gdb
2: -
3: %p"
4: HelloWorld

The question is what do you actually want -XX:OnError to be?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument parsing...

Hi all, Iam a beginer in shell scripting. i need a script that can parse the arguments and store them in variables. ex: ./myScript -v v1 -h v2 -c v3...... can someone suggest me...? tnx in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: midhun_u
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with parsing filenames containing spaces

I tried using the following options to parse the *.sh files in a dir (the name can contain spaces). But each of them breaks: FILESSH=$(ls /mysh/*.sh) echo "$FILESSH" | while read FILE ; do --- do something --; done This does not break for any whitespaces in filenames for FILE in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicon007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Parsing Argument

i wanna passing an argument which read in a file or a set of files if the files are given in the command line, otherwise use STDIN if no file argument. i got something like that, but it is not really working. so can anyone help me? which one is better to use for and how? Use perl. Thank you ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about argument parsing in scripts

Hello all, I am relatively new to linux and bash scripting. I have what seems to be a simple question but I'm having trouble finding the answer. The question is what is the difference between the variables $@ and $*. I've seen them both used in the same context, and I've tried a number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicthu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing argument in perl

in bash: LIST=`cat $1` for i in $LIST do ... done how will i do this in perl ? $1 is my first arguement. I'm a newbie in perl and will appreciate much your help guys ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

The last argument contains spaces, how do I get it into a variable?

Gooday I have an argument string that contains 15 arguments. The first 14 arguments are easy to handle because they are separated by spaces ARG14=`echo ${ARGSTRING} | awk '{print $14}'` The last argument is a text that may be empty or contain spaces. So any ideas on how I get the last... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagga
23 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for spaces in input argument!

Hi guys, I have created a csh script which allows user to pass input argument with the script like: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t <value> -p <value> Example: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t 2.3 -p 0.05 Now I want to create an error code where if user passes input argument without spaces , the code... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script not parsing file with spaces in path

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write my first ever shell script, the OS is Raspbian. The code I have written must be executed whenever a certain database has been modified. The database resides on a Windows server to which I have a mount point, and I have no control over the Windows server at all so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjws
2 Replies
RHINO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RHINO(1)

NAME
rhino - invokes the JavaScript shell for running scripts in batch mode or interactive SYNOPSIS
rhino [options] script_filename_or_url [script_arguments] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the rhino command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original pro- gram does not have a manual page. It is written according to the html documentation. rhino is a start script for the rhino JavaScript shell which provides a simple way to run scripts in batch mode or an interactive environ- ment for exploratory programming. OPTIONS
-e script_source Executes script_source as a JavaScript script. -f script_filename_or_url Reads script_filename_or_url content and execute it as a JavaScript script. -opt, -O optLevel Optimizes at level optLevel, which must be an integer between -1 and 9. -1 means Interpretive mode is always used. 0 means no opti- mizations whereas 9 means all optimizations are performed. -version versionNumber Specifies the language version to compile with. The string versionNumber must be one of 100, 110, 120, 130, or 140. See JavaScript Language Versions for more information on language versions. -strict Enable strict mode. PREDEFINED PROPERTIES
Scripts executing in the shell have access to some additional properties of the top-level object. arguments The arguments object is an array containing the strings of all the arguments given at the command line when the shell was invoked. help() Executing the help function will print usage and help messages. defineClass(className) Define an extension using the Java class named with the string argument className. Uses ScriptableObject.defineClass() to define the extension. deserialize(filename) Restore from the specified file an object previously written by a call to serialize. load([filename,...]) Load JavaScript source files named by string arguments. If multiple arguments are given, each file is read in and executed in turn. loadClass(className) Load and execute the class named by the string argument className. The class must be a class that implements the Script interface, as will any script compiled by jsc. print([expr...]) Evaluate and print expressions. Evaluates each expression, converts the result to a string, and prints it. readFile(path[,characterCoding]) Read given file and convert its bytes to a string using the specified character coding or default character coding if explicit cod- ing argument is not given. readUrl(url[,characterCoding]) Open an input connection to the given string url, read all its bytes and convert them to a string using the specified character cod- ing or default character coding if explicit coding argument is not given. runCommand(commandName,[arg,...][options]) Execute the specified command with the given argument and options as a separate process and return the exit status of the process. For details, see JavaDoc for org.mozilla.javascript.tools.shell.Global#runCommand. serialize(object,filename) Serialize the given object to the specified file. spawn(functionOrScript) Run the given function or script in a different thread. sync(function) creates a synchronized function (in the sense of a Java synchronized method) from an existing function. The new function synchro- nizes on the this object of its invocation. quit() Quit shell. The shell will also quit in interactive mode if an end-of-file character is typed at the prompt. version([number]) Get or set JavaScript version number. If no argument is supplied, the current version number is returned. If an argument is sup- plied, it is expected to be one of 100, 110, 120, 130, or 140 to indicate JavaScript version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 respec- tively. SEE ALSO
The online documentation under http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/shell.html AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Wolfgang Baer <WBaer@gmx.de>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). February 12, 2005 RHINO(1)