Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCSI disk spare sectors
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory SCSI disk spare sectors Post 302151845 by rednex on Monday 17th of December 2007 03:12:05 PM
Old 12-17-2007
I am sorry. I think I confused everyone. This is what I actually meant to say..

Usually a hard disk keeps spare sectors that are not visible to the user. Whenever the disk encounters a bad block the disk internally replaces these bad blocks from the spare sectors. This operation is completely translucent to the user. There seems to be a specific number of spare sectors on any hard disk that is used for recovering from bad blocks. But once the disk runs out of spare sectors in the process of replacing bad blocks, all future bad blocks will become medium errors (unrecoverable). If the number of available spare sectors can be found then the user can be informed much earlier that its time to backup this disk as it would soon become faulty.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vfstab on spare disk - HOW ? Mount ?

Hi, guys ! Could someone clarify one thing for me: I start machine from disk0, and want to check the /etc/vfstab on disk1. How do i do it ? Tried to write: cd / mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt But if I do cd /mnt, it is empty. I expected to see disk1 there ? Or am I wrong ? How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Smartmontools and fixing Unreadable Disk Sectors

I found a document: Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools My hard drive is Maxtor: root]# fdisk -lu /dev/hda Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders, total 160086528 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x3f4e3f4d ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinian
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy failing disk to Spare

Hi Guys, I have a failing 4gb (c0t5d0) drive that contains lvol4 -8 on hp-ux. It's not the boot disk but is part of VG00 volume group. Within that group, I have a disk (c0t4d0) of the same size that has 1 lvol on it for swap(4gb) I also have a seperate 1.5 gb swap volume on another physical disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rees_a
1 Replies

4. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

5. Boot Loaders

read sectors from disk failed with timeout

i'm writing some code to simulate the boot progress after power on but when i try to read the 2nd sector from a floppy disk, this operation always fail with ah=0x80h which means timeout, how can i get over this problem? my code would be like this: $ cat boot.S .code16 #define SETUPLEN 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wljackhero
0 Replies

6. Linux

i'm writing some code to simulate the boot progress after power on but when i try to read the 2nd sector from a floppy disk, this operation always fail with ah=0x80h which means timeout, how can i get over this problem? my code would be like this: $ cat boot.S .code16 #define SETUPLEN 4... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

0 Replies

8. AIX

IBM SAN STORAGE HOT SPARE DISK

Hello, I have DS4000 IBM SAN Storage ( aka FastT Storage ) One of my disks has failed and I had a hot spare disk covering all the arrays. As the disk failed, immediately the hotspare disk took over the failed disk ( see the JPEG in the attachment ) My Question: How can I make the hotspare... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of prtdiag to give information of sectors,cylinders,track of each disk

Hi All, i am trying to get sectors,cylinders,track..etc information of all present disks out of solaris machine using prtvtoc command . Output of ptrvtoc command is as below : bash-3.2# prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 * /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 partition map * * Dimensions: * 512 bytes/sector... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
2 Replies

10. Solaris

EFI disk labeling / understand the parition table / sectors not continue

Hi all, I have a EFI disk and it is use in zfs pool. partition> p Volume: rpool Current partition table (original): Total disk sectors available: 1172107117 + 16384 (reserved sectors) Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector 0 usr wm ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
8 Replies
badsect(8)						      System Manager's Manual							badsect(8)

NAME
badsect - Creates files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/badsect bbdir sector... DESCRIPTION
The badsect command makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a forwarding table for bad sectors to the driver. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard, it is preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks because the bad block forwarding makes the disk appear perfect, and such disks can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by badsect is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect cannot make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector that is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard formatter. Thus, to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard, badsect can be used to good effect. Use the badsect command on a quiet file system in the following way: Mount the file system and change to its root directory. Make a direc- tory BAD there. Run badsect, giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, as reported in console error messages.) Change back to the root directory, unmount the file system, and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This operation will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. The badsect command works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When fsck discovers the file, it will ask "HOLD BAD BLOCK?" An affirmative response will cause fsck to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. RESTRICTIONS
If more than one of the sectors comprised by a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. ERRORS
The badsect command refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. SEE ALSO
Commands: fsck(8) badsect(8)