Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete a block of text delimited by blank lines when pattern is found Post 302151409 by radoulov on Saturday 15th of December 2007 05:39:29 AM
Old 12-15-2007
Something like this?

Code:
sed -n '
/^$/ b block
H
$ b block
b
:block
x
/pattern/!p' data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete block of lines when pattern does not match

I have this input file that I need to remove lines which represents more than 30 days of processing. Input file: On 11/17/2009 at 12:30:00, Program started processing...argc=7 Total number of bytes in file being processed is 390 Message buffer of length=390 was allocated successfully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines after the search string until blank line is found

All I want is to look for the pattern in the file...If I found it at # places... I want print lines after those pattern(line) until I find a blank line. Log EXAMPLE : MT:Exception caught The following Numbers were affected: 1234 2345 2346 Error java.lang.InternalError:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If first pattern is found, look for second pattern. If second pattern not found, delete line

I had a spot of trouble coming up with a title, hopefully you'll understand once you read my problem... :) I have the output of an ldapsearch that looks like this: dn: cn=sam,ou=company,o=com uidNumber: 7174 gidNumber: 49563 homeDirectory: /home/sam loginshell: /bin/bash uid: sam... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samgoober
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete blank line/s before and after a search pattern?

Hi, Test file x.txt below. This file is generated by a program that I unfortunately do not have control on how it gets presented/generated. create PACKAGE "XXX_INTERFACE_DEFECT_RPT_TEST" is TYPE refCursor IS REF CURSOR; Function queryRecords ( p_status varchar2, ... ... ... )... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tried many options but unable to delete blank lines from text file

Hi, I tried the following options but was unable to delete blank lines from file Input file = temp.hash.txt temp.hash.txt content 90 0 89.56 0 0 57575.4544 56.89 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuuunnnn
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns

Hi all, I'm looking for a way (sed or awk) to delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns ex: user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 16... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)