Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Run fsck from standard login
Operating Systems Solaris Run fsck from standard login Post 302151169 by panchpan on Thursday 13th of December 2007 05:55:14 PM
Old 12-13-2007
Run fsck from standard login

Hello.
I have created a FS /u00/ and created a non-root login under this FS. Also, disabled direct root login. Now is it possible or worth moving this login over to the root partition or allowing mount/umount + fsck from a standard account. As I am not able to run fsck for this FS.

How to allow a standard login to mount/umount + fsck? worth?

Please advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Standard login shell

Hello By default for root the login shell is /bin/sh. In the file /etc/passwd I changed it to /bin/bash. (/bin/bash does exists!) After I logged out and in again I still have /bin/sh as the shell and not /bin/bash. Are the more files to be edited? I am using SCO-Unix. I am thankfull for any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fwurm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run fsck on swap slice?

Hi.. i am using sun solaris...and this is the filesystem information... you can see th slice(swap) c0t0d0s1 is giving some absord information......and during rebooting it is asking to run fsck mnually..when i run fsck manually it is giving error incorrect starting and end header...smthing like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

3. Solaris

fsck run

Hi, Can anybody tell me that is it the command "fsck" can be run by the root account only? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: efang
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

fsck! How to run Full File System Check

Dear all I am new for HP-UX. I have HP rp2470 running HP-UX 10.x When i run fsck in a root, the output is as below: #:root> fsck fsck: /dev/vg00/rlvol1: mounted file system continue (y/n)? y ** /dev/vg00/rlvol1 ** Last Mounted on /stand ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes ** Phase... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungevntelecom
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a run fsck manually problem...

so i am pretty dumb when it comes to unix. but i am in the navy and the system i work on is unix based. and we have come across this problem. COULD NOT FIX FILE SYSTEM WITH fsck -P, RUN fsck INTERACTIVELY! LOGGING IN AS root FOR MANUAL fsk, ENTER ^D WHEN FILE SYSTEM FIXED (in bcheckrc)# ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afouts
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

fsck doesn't work - not even run?

Hi, please consider, I'm pretty new to HP-UX, thanks. Our server (rp7420 with HP-UX 11.31) has crashed due to disk write error (not boot partition). So I replaced damaged device with the new one of the same size and performed dd copy 1:1 to restore data - vxfs partition "/dev/vg01/lvol1"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morhoo
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run fsck on root file system

If i run fsck on one filesystem and fsck need to repair some things then this partition must be unmounted correct ? So running fsck on root file system isn't possible within same OS ? correct ? What is the best way to do that, live cd ? BR, Jurif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurif
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Not able to run fsck on root file system

I am trying to root disk mirroring on SunFire V210 Server. There are two disks on this server c1t0d0 and c1t1d0 . I completed all the steps and I updated the vfstab file too. After I have updated the vfstab file I run df -h command but could not see the changes i made in vfstab. Suddenly the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
1 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Disk corruption? Cant run fsck....

NOTICE: /: unexpected free inode 45262, run fsck(1M) fsck: cannot open vfstab Looks like /etc/vfstab (and a few other files has gone) Any ideas? Boot from cd, mount disk and recreate vfstab so that I can run fsck? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
SECURETTY(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SECURETTY(5)

NAME
securetty - file which lists terminals from which root can log in DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/securetty contains the names of terminals (one per line, without leading /dev/) which are considered secure for the transmis- sion of certain authentication tokens. It is used by (some versions of) login(1) to restrict the terminals on which root is allowed to login. See login.defs(5) if you use the shadow suite. On PAM enabled systems, it is used for the same purpose by pam_securetty(8) to restrict the terminals on which empty passwords are accepted. FILES
/etc/securetty SEE ALSO
login(1), login.defs(5), pam_securetty(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-03-29 SECURETTY(5)