Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo compiling 32 bit application on 64 bit linux(x86_64) Post 302151018 by uttamhoode on Thursday 13th of December 2007 11:06:11 AM
Old 12-13-2007
compiling 32 bit application on 64 bit linux(x86_64)

hi all,
i have a 64 bit linux machine.

$uname -a
Linux SVRDELLD30 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Aug 15 10:35:26 BST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

here by default gcc creates 64 bit executable. but for some reason i want to create 32bit executable.

first i want to create 32 bit object files(.o files) and then i want to link those object files.

Please suggest me suitable gcc options.

Thanks and Regards,
uttam hoode

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Compiling 32 bit app on 64 bit kernal

I've been trying to compile an application that works on AIX 5L in 32 bit mode on an AIX 5L 64 bit mode machine. In doing so I get a lot of undefined symbol errors. Below is a sample of what the output looks like..... %make -f makefile_hl7 all cc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrisey
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

3. Linux

Is it possible to compile 64 bit application on 32 bit machine

Hi, I am using 32 bit machine, and I want to compile 64 bit application on 32-bit machine. So please tell me is it possible or not? Regards Mandar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migrating unix mp-ras 32 bit to linux suse 64 bit

Hi. I need to migrate the whole unix environment from a Unix mp-ras 32 bit to a Linux Suse 64 bit. 1) can i use cpio to copy the data? 2) can i just copy the users from unix to linux or do i have to create them by hand 3) are there any other concerns i should worry about? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error compiling 32-bit Qt-4.7 on 64-bit Ubuntu OS

Hi, I am compiling Qt-4.7 for 32-bit on 64-bit (x86_64) Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. I have installed all the 32-bit libraries (/lib32 and /usr/lib32) through getlibs and "apt-get install ia32-libs". But I am getting the following error while configuring the qt project as: ./configure -platform... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix flavors that run on x86, x86_64 bit processors?

Hello everyone. This is an awesome forum. Glad to have joined! :) I use Linux mostly, even for Desktop usage. I just love everything about it, all the way down to how the font looks while browsing. Its just so sleek and sexy. But I also boot Windows for those programs I just need that only... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: insomnia
23 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to install 32 bit application on 64 bit OS

Hi, I am new to Linux OS. My question is that "is it possible to install 32 Bit application on 64 Bit OS?" I have the following Redhat OS on VMware workstation. OS - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 | 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 While installing the application I am getting the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
2 Replies
SETARCH(8)						       System Administration							SETARCH(8)

NAME
setarch - change reported architecture in new program environment and set personality flags SYNOPSIS
setarch arch [options] [program [arguments]] arch [options] [program [arguments]] DESCRIPTION
setarch This utility currently only affects the output of uname -m. For example, on an AMD64 system, running 'setarch i386 program' will cause 'program' to see i686 (or other relevant arch) instead of x86_64 as machine type. It also allows to set various personality options. The default program is /bin/sh. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Be verbose. -h, --help Display help (it is also displayed when setarch takes no arguments). --uname-2.6 Causes the program to see a kernel version number beginning with 2.6. -3, --3gb Specifies that processes should use a maximum of 3GB of address space on systems where it is supported (ADDR_LIMIT_3GB). -B, --32bit Turns on ADDR_LIMIT_32BIT. -F, --fdpic-funcptrs Userspace function pointers point to descriptors (turns on FDPIC_FUNCPTRS). -I, --short-inode Turns on SHORT_INODE. -L, --addr-compat-layout Changes the way virtual memory is allocated (turns on the ADDR_COMPAT_LAYOUT). -R, --addr-no-randomize Disables randomization of the virtual address space (turns on ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE). -S, --whole-seconds Turns on WHOLE_SECONDS. -T, --sticky-timeouts Turns on STICKY_TIMEOUTS. -X --read-implies-exec Turns on READ_IMPLIES_EXEC. -Z, mmap-page-zero Turns on MMAP_PAGE_ZERO. EXAMPLES
setarch ppc32 rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm setarch ppc32 -v -vL3 rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild bar.src.rpm setarch ppc32 --32bit rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm AUTHOR
Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> Jindrich Novy <jnovy@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The setarch command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2007 SETARCH(8)