Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to exit the KSH functions Post 302150260 by blowtorch on Monday 10th of December 2007 08:04:07 PM
Old 12-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharif
This function is from the script only. The big script is having multiple functions. This function is one among that. This is not seperate script. (This is function)
Yes, but as porter asked, how are you invoking the big script? Are you running it as: /path/to/script or 'cd /path/to/script; ./script' or what?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Exit Code in HP-UX KSH.

In one of my programs another process is called using the system command e.g. lv_error = system("myproc"); where lv_error is declared as an int. myproc would be returning 0 for success and 1 for failure. e.g. if (success) { return(0); }else{ return(1); } When the return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbb
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh functions

Hi All, just wanted to ask if functions created in a Korn shell script can be passed parameters and if so what is the syntax for creating a function with parameters? thanks Mani (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Functions String return

Hy everybody I'm trying to write a function like function(){ final=$1 return $final } but I get following error: "return: bad non-numeric arg ''" what shall I do? Isn't it possible to return strings?:confused: thanks lucae (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucae
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Test telnet and exit

Hi, I need to do a test Telnet in KSH and if the connection is good then disconnect the telnet session with out logging in and without exiting the shell script. Example output of a good connection: $telnet xxx.xx.xx.xxx xxxx Trying xxx.xx.xx.xxx... Connected to xxx.xx.xx.xxx. Escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: calex
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing array to functions in ksh script

Let me know if there is a way to pass array to a funtion in ksh script. function isPresent { typeset member member=$1 dbList=$2 echo '$1:' $1 echo '$2' $dbList The array will be at the second position....something like this isPresent 12 <array> if then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal is closing on exit in ksh

hi while executing the following script, my terminal window is getting closed if I enter a invalid option. I want the script should go back the the command prompt. how to do achive it. i execute the script as . ./test #! /usr/bin/ksh Printf " Type of Installer : \n\t\t 1. Whole Build... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Functions, exit, and kill in bash

Hello Okay, for reasons related to sourcing a script from another script, I've had to put my main loop into a function, and from there I call other functions. My problem then is exiting from deep within the function call stack. I used to simply call exit, and that would accomplish what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brsett
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Confused with behaviour of exit

Hi Everyone, I am confused on why the below snippet of code is not working as I intend it to do. I have googled and confirmed that "exit" is supposed to abort the execution of the script regardless if the exit was called from inside a function, or the main body of the script. log_and_die() { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddmaster
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status of the ksh Script

Hi Im trying to write a script that will archive some file using java program.Below is the part of the script that I use and my problem is that the script always return with status 0.Below is part of my script(end part) purge.ksh echo "No of files before tar :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saachinsiva
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh While Loop - passing variables to functions

I'm reading a text file using a while loop but when I call a function from within this loop it exits that same iteration … even though there are many more lines in the file to be read. I thought it was something to do with the IFS setting but it appears that a function call (when run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
3 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)