Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Disconnecting a telnet session Post 302149934 by prowla on Sunday 9th of December 2007 04:04:44 AM
Old 12-09-2007
You can find their shell process using the "ps" command an kill it.
You need to be root to kill another person's process.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Find the IP address that a telnet session uses

Hello Experts, Happy New Year to all of us, In AIX 4.3.3 I am trying to figure out how is possible to find out the IP address that a telnet session - user uses to login in to host machine. My objective is by finding the login IP address to allow the user to login or not. All users uses the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszago
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet session timeout

hi, we can set something such that if the user has been idle for a while, it will auto disconnect. where to do so? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet session does not expire

Dear friends.. Our project has a module that runs on handheld devices. Through the handheld we telnet to solaris where the application actually runs. I noticed that after starting a session through the handheld, if i go out of range or if i remove and replace the battery in the handheld, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Session

{ sleep 2 echo "$user" sleep 2 echo "$password" sleep 2 echo " ls" sleep 10 echo "exit" }| telnet $server I have a machine x and i have executed the above script on machine 'x'. i entered the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Telnet session

Hi Is there any way whilst in a telnet session you can view your client machine name that you are using to connect to the Unix box ? :eek: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet Session to AIX

Hello, I have AIX 5.3 at home connected to netgear router. Port Forwarding has been enabled on the router. Problem is that if I want to telnet, I have to try 2 or 3 times before I can get a logon prompt. It times out for first or second time (Connection to session <IP_Address> failed: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluebee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash telnet session logging

I'm looking at allowing remote telnet into my server. like any security-minded administrator, I want to log what my users type on the telnet session. I'm using the script command to generate transcripts of the users session. I have /etc/profile set to automatically start the script command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies

9. Solaris

M5000 XSCF Console disconnecting when putty session is closed

Hi, I would appreciate some help. I remotely access, across a VPN, an M5000 and when I connect to the XSCF I can then access the OS using console -d0 and then I can get to the console. The problem I have is that I need to run something which will take many hours and I can't run it in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
6 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)