Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert a variable in the last column of a file Post 302149433 by dineshr85 on Thursday 6th of December 2007 05:39:21 AM
Old 12-06-2007
i want to append

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert first line of a file to first column of remaining files

I want to extraxt data from a html table the html file is downloaded from UG / PG Univ - Exam.Results April/May 2008 After processing the html file using sed i got the output like this 11305106082,RANJANI R, CS1251,20,69,P CS1302,20,45,P EC1006,20,52,P EC1351,20,53,P... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_artha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert line into file using variable

Hi all, I am trying to insert couple of lines before first occurance of line3 which occuring after line 5. So I identified the line 5 line number in the file. Also redirected the all line3 line number to out.txt. Now I have problem in inserting the line using the variable $rep. Please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimmanuel
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text into file depending on variable

Hey guys , i have a variable with the contents ... NUMBER=4 and a test file with the contents 1248 1213 1214 1278 1200 3045 3444 2130 I want to execute a script that will produce the following output ( based on NUMBER=4) to be ... create 1248 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theshams
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to insert variable file into another, bit like C's #include

Hi, I want to insert one file into another like this: file 1: 1 2 3 <!-- #include file="file2" --> 4 5 <!-- #include file="file3" --> 6 with the complete output going to another file. Have seen some solutions to similar problems using sed, but this problem is different because it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvq
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a variable to a text file after fixed number of lines

Hi, I am new to unix. I need to insert a variable which contains some lines of text into a text file after fixed number of lines.. Please help me on this.. Thanks in Advance, Amrutha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amr89
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert a column into file

hi everybody! Could u show me how to do following: I have files (in total 22) .txt that contain one column of values (the total number of values varies from file to file from 40.0000 to 10.000). For example: 742429 758311 995669 1008567 1011278 1011521 1020428 1021403 ... And I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kush
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value of env variable in xml file

Hello, I have the following variables set in my env echo $MY_XSD_FILE /home/jak/sample.xsd echo $MY_INTERVAL_VALUE 4 I want to insert them between the xml tags in my xml file cat sample.xml ::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::: <property name="FILE"></property> :::::::::::::::::::::::... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value of column based on file name matching

At the top of the XYZ file, I need to insert the ABC data value of column 2 only when ABC column 1 matches the prefix XYZ file name (not the ".txt"). Is there an awk solution for this? ABC Data 0101 0.54 0102 0.48 0103 1.63 XYZ File Name 0101.txt 0102.txt 0103.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert data into black column( Secound Column ) in excel (.XLSX) file using shell script?

Source Code of the original script is down below please run the script and try to solve this problem this is my data and I want it column wise 2019-03-20 13:00:00:000 2019-03-20 15:00:00:000 1 Operating System LAB 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shubham1182
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash: Insert in a variable a file

hi all i have a problem in the bash shell. i'd like insert in a variable a file for example : i have a file datafine.log in this file there is : 17/JUN/2019 i want to insert the value of datafine.log in a variable. Regards Frncesco edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for your data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
2 Replies
INSERT(7)							   SQL Commands 							 INSERT(7)

NAME
INSERT - create new rows in a table SYNOPSIS
INSERT INTO table [ ( column [, ...] ) ] { DEFAULT VALUES | VALUES ( { expression | DEFAULT } [, ...] ) [, ...] | query } [ RETURNING * | output_expression [ [ AS ] output_name ] [, ...] ] DESCRIPTION
INSERT inserts new rows into a table. One can insert one or more rows specified by value expressions, or zero or more rows resulting from a query. The target column names can be listed in any order. If no list of column names is given at all, the default is all the columns of the table in their declared order; or the first N column names, if there are only N columns supplied by the VALUES clause or query. The values sup- plied by the VALUES clause or query are associated with the explicit or implicit column list left-to-right. Each column not present in the explicit or implicit column list will be filled with a default value, either its declared default value or null if there is none. If the expression for any column is not of the correct data type, automatic type conversion will be attempted. The optional RETURNING clause causes INSERT to compute and return value(s) based on each row actually inserted. This is primarily useful for obtaining values that were supplied by defaults, such as a serial sequence number. However, any expression using the table's columns is allowed. The syntax of the RETURNING list is identical to that of the output list of SELECT. You must have INSERT privilege on a table in order to insert into it. If a column list is specified, you only need INSERT privilege on the listed columns. Use of the RETURNING clause requires SELECT privilege on all columns mentioned in RETURNING. If you use the query clause to insert rows from a query, you of course need to have SELECT privilege on any table or column used in the query. PARAMETERS
table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. column The name of a column in table. The column name can be qualified with a subfield name or array subscript, if needed. (Inserting into only some fields of a composite column leaves the other fields null.) DEFAULT VALUES All columns will be filled with their default values. expression An expression or value to assign to the corresponding column. DEFAULT The corresponding column will be filled with its default value. query A query (SELECT statement) that supplies the rows to be inserted. Refer to the SELECT [select(7)] statement for a description of the syntax. output_expression An expression to be computed and returned by the INSERT command after each row is inserted. The expression can use any column names of the table. Write * to return all columns of the inserted row(s). output_name A name to use for a returned column. OUTPUTS
On successful completion, an INSERT command returns a command tag of the form INSERT oid count The count is the number of rows inserted. If count is exactly one, and the target table has OIDs, then oid is the OID assigned to the inserted row. Otherwise oid is zero. If the INSERT command contains a RETURNING clause, the result will be similar to that of a SELECT statement containing the columns and val- ues defined in the RETURNING list, computed over the row(s) inserted by the command. EXAMPLES
Insert a single row into table films: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502', 'Bananas', 105, '1971-07-13', 'Comedy', '82 minutes'); In this example, the len column is omitted and therefore it will have the default value: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, '1961-06-16', 'Drama'); This example uses the DEFAULT clause for the date columns rather than specifying a value: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502', 'Bananas', 105, DEFAULT, 'Comedy', '82 minutes'); INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DEFAULT, 'Drama'); To insert a row consisting entirely of default values: INSERT INTO films DEFAULT VALUES; To insert multiple rows using the multirow VALUES syntax: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('B6717', 'Tampopo', 110, '1985-02-10', 'Comedy'), ('HG120', 'The Dinner Game', 140, DEFAULT, 'Comedy'); This example inserts some rows into table films from a table tmp_films with the same column layout as films: INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp_films WHERE date_prod < '2004-05-07'; This example inserts into array columns: -- Create an empty 3x3 gameboard for noughts-and-crosses INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[1:3][1:3]) VALUES (1, '{{" "," "," "},{" "," "," "},{" "," "," "}}'); -- The subscripts in the above example aren't really needed INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board) VALUES (2, '{{X," "," "},{" ",O," "},{" ",X," "}}'); Insert a single row into table distributors, returning the sequence number generated by the DEFAULT clause: INSERT INTO distributors (did, dname) VALUES (DEFAULT, 'XYZ Widgets') RETURNING did; COMPATIBILITY
INSERT conforms to the SQL standard, except that the RETURNING clause is a PostgreSQL extension. Also, the case in which a column name list is omitted, but not all the columns are filled from the VALUES clause or query, is disallowed by the standard. Possible limitations of the query clause are documented under SELECT [select(7)]. SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 INSERT(7)