Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Stopping A process
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stopping A process Post 302149135 by porter on Wednesday 5th of December 2007 02:47:02 AM
Old 12-05-2007
How are you going to identify the process to kill?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stopping a print request

Im running a solaris 9 system and keep getting this message: Request to LXKF894CB (unknown printer) from zion. This happen because there was a mis configured printer and a job was submitted to it. I fix the printer issue but this message keeps repeating and the PID keeps going up. How can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
5 Replies

2. AIX

Stopping multiple process on AIX

I'm trying to update a shared library (*.so) in our AIX machine. However, when I tried to delete the old *.so file, I get this error -> Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program. Based on the information I gather from the net, shared libraries are not unloaded (the file remains... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulfactory2002
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stopping a script

i want to stop a script from running after one minute, using the sleep command, and then kill the process. anyhelp with this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtomJ22
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't resume a process after stopping it!

Hello, I have a process running, for example a "top". I send it a signal to stop it kill -s SIGSTOP 3423 It works, but when I want to resume it by kill -s SIGCONT 3423 It does not work. Help me please..... I have Fedora Core 4. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nene
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stopping a processor

hi, Can any plz tell what is the command for stopping a processor? suppose a system is accessing 10 processors and we want to stop the 3rd & 6th processor then whats the command in Unix? thank u (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nm_virtual
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopping a command in between

Hi Is it possible to stop a command executing after certain time? I have this command say prstat which keeps on giving the values etc of the processes after every 1 sec(refreshes the screen) What I want is just stop the execution after first screen Since I have written this command in shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprg
3 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

stopping running process

hi all, I am using red hat AS 4 linux enterprise,i need to run my application such that while its running no other process shuld run all the remaining process should be suspended ,i need to use whole of the process only for that application to run ,can anyone suggest me how to do this. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilakshmi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

stopping process started with "while"

Hello unix forum ! how do i get rid of this while thing ? if started some where by crontab for example. while ; do ./script > /dev/null ; done & or for example if in terminal while ; do ./script ; done & and the script is outputing and I can't write commands. other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_475
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

stopping you have mail.....

Hi, on server Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3, I am getting the mail "you have mail" can any body suggest how to stop this? mail are getting generated in below path. /var/spool/postfix/maildrop, due to which heavy file are getting generated. though sendmail service is stopped. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock - create lock files for use in shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock -p pid -f name [ -b ] [ -u ] [ -c ] DESCRIPTION
Shlock tries to create a lock file named name and write the process ID pid into it. If the file already exists, shlock will read the process ID from the file and test to see if the process is currently running. If the process exists, then the file will not be created. Shlock exits with a zero status if it was able to create the lock file, or non-zero if the file refers to currently-active process. OPTIONS
-b Process IDs are normally read and written in ASCII. If the ``-b'' flag is used, then they will be written as a binary int. For compatibility with other systems, the ``-u'' flag is accepted as a synonym for ``-b'' since binary locks are used by many UUCP pack- ages. -c If the ``-c'' flag is used, then shlock will not create a lock file, but will instead use the file to see if the lock is held by another program. If the lock is valid, the program will exit with a non-zero status; if the lock is not valid (i.e., invoking shlock without the flag would have succeeded), then the program will exit with a zero status. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how shlock would be used within a shell script: LOCK=/var/run/innd/LOCK.send trap 'rm -f ${LOCK} ; exit 1' 1 2 3 15 if shlock -p $$ -f ${LOCK} ; then # Do appropriate work else echo Locked by `cat ${LOCK}` fi HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> after a description of HDB UUCP locking given by Peter Honeyman. This is revision 1.9, dated 1996/10/29. SHLOCK(1)