Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What Cinderella did - sorting the bytes Post 302148448 by Neo on Saturday 1st of December 2007 09:44:16 PM
Old 12-01-2007
Maybe you could take a test directory of some data and tar it correctly; and then using the same test directory, tar it incorrectly.

Then, use a file comparison too to see exactly how the tar file in error was structured and if it is feasible to repair.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first N bytes and last N bytes from a binary file on AIX.

Hi all, Does anybody know or guide me on how to remove the first N bytes and the last N bytes from a binary file? Is there any AWK or SED or any command that I can use to achieve this? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Best Regards, Naveen. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

80 bytes per line ???

I am creating ASCII file from Oracle procedure into Unix box. I undertstand there is NO CRLF as I am writing it into one complete string .. but need to know what is best way to format the file with 80bytes per line only before handing over to another program. Thanks in advance regards... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files with zero bytes

Hi All, I want to find zero byte files in the given folder for the given day. I know we can use find . -size 0 -mtime 0 But is there an option for file creation.? ls -lart | grep ' 0 Apr 24' will also work. Also is there any alternative using awk ? I want to know how to use awk in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing bytes

Hi, I have packed fields for which I am trying to print bytes. when I try cut -b2 it does print the 2nd byte besides that it also prints additional byte that I am not aware off:confused: data looks something like this Input: 135 246 when I try cut -b2 it gives me 30 4A but I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted(tried to allocate 401 bytes)

While running script I am getting an error like Few lines in data are not being processed. After googling it I came to know that adding such line would give some memory to it ini_set("memory_limit","64M"); my input file size is 1 GB. Is that memory limit is based on RAM we have on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
1 Replies

6. Programming

Copying 1024 bytes data in 3-bytes chunk

Hi, If I want to copy a 1024 byte data stream in to the target location in 3-bytes chunk, I guess I can use the following script. dd bs=1024 count=3 if=/src of=/dest But, I would like to know, how to do it via a C program. I have tried this with memcpy(), that did not help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

9. Programming

Best way to axe N bytes from the right?

say that i have strings that end in "text" foo.9.text, bar.10.text, baz.11.text and i want a C function to chop off the last four characters and replace each string with a '\0'; obviously with error-checking. Any ideas? TIA! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Kline
7 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)