Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: For Loop sequence question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For Loop sequence question Post 302148289 by stringzz on Friday 30th of November 2007 05:01:47 PM
Old 11-30-2007
For Loop sequence question

I am using a for loop in a shell. My question is how does it list out the files in the example below. Does it list the files by name? How can I list the files by date so it will list the oldest file first in the sequence.

Thanks!

for f in /dir/*.*
echo $f
end

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop question

HI ALL How to read first 10 line from a file using any method (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop question ???

Hi I want to take an input untill the user presses 'n' or 'N' and run a command based on the input I want to store the output of the command in a file called output.txt ( append mode ). Please tell the script for the same. Here is the psuedocode while ( n or N pressed ) do read var run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop sequence issue

Hi. I have a bunch of tif images in the directory with the following naming convention: 1.tif 2.tif 3.tif . . . n.tif There are over 1000 tif images in this dir. I'm running a for loop to rename *.tif in this dir to <YYYYMMDD><NNNN>.tif, where YYYYMMDD is the current date (duh), and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss0213
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop question

hey guys what im trying to do is do a simple script that will ask for a password and on the 5th time it says access denied if the right password is still not entered this is what i have so far can anyone help me im not good with scripting thanks in advance #!/bin/bash secretname=secret... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: randallrivy11
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop question

I have two files. In file one, there are many columns, but only two of interest to me. Column 1 contains a list of individuals, defined by an ID number. Column 10 contains the diagnosis that each individual has (I am a physician). All together, there are 3000 lines in this file, one line per... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awc228
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find common entries and match the number with long sequence and cut that sequence in output

Hi all, I have a file like this ID 3BP5L_HUMAN Reviewed; 393 AA. AC Q7L8J4; Q96FI5; Q9BQH8; Q9C0E3; DT 05-FEB-2008, integrated into UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot. DT 05-JUL-2004, sequence version 1. DT 05-SEP-2012, entry version 71. FT COILED 59 140 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop Question

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to check for 10 files in Unix location. If all of the files present in that directory then i have execute another process. can you help me resolving this issue. sample location /home/usr abc.txt cde.txt aaaa.txt lll.txt ooo.txt if all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about for loop

Hi, I have code like below disk_list=$(ls /root/file1) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done I know what pvcreate command does, but I do not understand what this $i do here. can someone please explain. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question around For Loop

Hi, I have a variable called result that get the the below value i.e two lines assigned../logs/mymac/myserver.log:####<Jun 7, 2015 12:56:54 PM EDT> <myserver.my.bank.com> <mymac> < ExecuteThread: '5' for queue:\ 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<WLS Kernel>> <1434640> <BEA-0900>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
0 Replies
SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					    SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkshadow - GNU shtool create shadow tree using symlinks SYNOPSIS
shtool mkshadow [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-a|--all] src-dir dst-dir DESCRIPTION
This command creates a shadow tree of src-dir under dst-dir by recreating the directory hierarchy of src-dir under dst-dir and by creating the files of src-dir by linking them into the corresponding directories under dst-dir via symbolic links. When src-dir can be reached via relative paths from dst-dir, relative symbolic links are used, too. This high-level functionality is originally designed for developers to create copies of source trees. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -a, --all Really shadow all files and directories in src-dir. Default is to skip CVS related files and directories, backup files, object files, etc. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkshadow -v -a . /tmp/shadow HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkshadow command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later revised and taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)