Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Count number of occurences of a word Post 302147892 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 29th of November 2007 01:12:09 AM
Old 11-29-2007
I thought OP was interested in the count of pattern ( that are to be considered as complete patterns ) and not the number of such patterns that might occur in the same line

Well, this is possible. Smilie

To make it clear, OP has to publish sample data Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word count showing wrong number of lines

Hi , I am using SUN OS Version 5.6. I have a file that contains records of length 270. when I do 'set nu' in vi editor, I get the count as 86. whereas when I do "wc -l" on the command prompt, it shows the count as only 85. this is very strange. why would the 'wc' show 1 record less. The job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of occurences of this pattern?

Hi all, I have a pattern like this in a file: 123 4 56 789 234 5 67 789 121 3 56 789 222 4 65 789 321 6 90 100 478 8 40 789 243 7 80 789 How can I count the number of occurences of '789' (4th column) in this set...? Thanks for all your help! K (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of digits in a word

Hi all Can anybody suggest me, how to get the count of digits in a word I tried WORD=abcd1234 echo $WORD | grep -oE ] | wc -l 4 It works in bash command line, but not in scripts :mad: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to count the number of occurences of a column value

im trying to count the number of occurences of column 2 value(starting from KKK*) of the below file, file.txt using the code cat file.txt | awk ' BEGIN { print "Category Counts"} {FS=","} {NR > 2} { cats = cats + 1} END { for(c in cats) { print c, "=", cats} } ' but its returning as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of word occurences in a file?

Hello world, Can anybody tell me how to count how many times does a word repeat in a file? There have been many threads on this but they all are heavy loads of Scripting for a starter like me. :D So, I sat down today and after some hours of reading man pages, I found a simple one-line... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences using awk

Hi Guys, I have 2 files like below file1 xx yy file2 b yy b2 xx c1 yy xx yy Now I want an idea which can count occurences of text from file1 and file2 so outbout would be kind of (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and print the number of occurences

I have some files as shown below GLL ALM 654-656 654 656 SEM LYG 655-657 655 657 SEM LYG 655-657 655 657 ALM LEG 656-658 656 658 ALM LEG 656-658 656 658 ALM LEG 656-658 656 658 LEG LEG 658-660 658 660 LEG LEG 658-660 658 660 The value of GLL is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count occurences of the word without it repeating

Hi, I would like to count the number of ALA occurences without having them to be repeated. In the script I have written now it has 40 repetitions of ALA but it has to be 8. ALA is chosen as one of the 20 values it can have when the script asks for the input of AAA, which for this example is chosen... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aurimas
7 Replies
case(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   case(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
case - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
case string ?in? patList body ?patList body ...? case string ?in? {patList body ?patList body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Note: the case command is obsolete and is supported only for backward compatibility. At some point in the future it may be removed entirely. You should use the switch command instead. The case command matches string against each of the patList arguments in order. Each patList argument is a list of one or more patterns. If any of these patterns matches string then case evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. Each patList argument consists of a single pattern or list of patterns. Each pattern may con- tain any of the wild-cards described under string match. If a patList argument is default, the corresponding body will be evaluated if no patList matches string. If no patList argument matches string and no default is given, then the case command returns an empty string. Two syntaxes are provided for the patList and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line case commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unneces- sary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the patList arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or variable substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. SEE ALSO
switch(n) KEYWORDS
case, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 case(n)