Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Columns to rows
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Columns to rows Post 302147837 by Lakris on Wednesday 28th of November 2007 07:38:35 PM
Old 11-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
  1. UUOC
  2. I'm guessing the OP wanted to transpose a matrix - your suggested solution will not achive this
Now this was interesting!
A guess is as good as a poop in the dark...

1. How very intelligent of you. Give me a good example of UUOC when it comes to tr? It IS a typical filter program isn't it? Spare me the von oben.

2. Was there anything in the question that indicated that he wanted to have a transposed matrix from the source? Instead of just splitting? I tried to supply a simple solution to a simple question. And Did I not specifically state that "Depends on if You want to group it or so but the simplest way would be", so what is Your problem? If he need clarification which is the normal way to go here, he can do so in a following post. And in that case I can give further examples.

I have seen your posts of "RTFM" and I don't agree. I like to try to help as far as I can go.

I am actually offended by your post.

/Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

# of rows and columns

Hi, Does anyone know the command to know the # of rows and columns for a file? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows into columns?

I have a file thats space delimited that looks something like this: Joe Smith jsmith 43234 bill1;bill2;read;read2;schedule Andy Summers asummers 11232 bill1;read Beth McConnel bmconnel 43443 read;read2;schedule;bill Susan Fowler sfowler 09332 bill1;read;schedule I need to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: regexnub
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rows to columns

Hi Friends, I have a input file as below. how to convert rows to columns? Friday:recharge 3861140 Monday:recharge 4036228 Saturday:recharge 3996376 Sunday:recharge 3777749 Thursday:recharge 3858537 Tuesday:recharge 4047045 Wednesday:recharge 3954798 desinred output Sunday ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows into Columns

Input File vCenter Servers: 172.28.173.207: vCenter Server connectivity status: Accessible ESX servers: Name: nyp-vhst1001-at.hq.nt.life.com IP address: 10.34.36.11 Virtual machines: Name:nyp-bbmds-at Ip address: 172.28.173.139 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greycells
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to Columns

Hi Guru's, I have a requirement where i need to convert rows to column based on a key column. Input: Account_id|Trip_Org|Trip_Dest|City|Hotel_Nm 123|DFW|CHI|Dallas|Hyatt 123|LAS|LPA|Vegas|Hyatt Palace Output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh5300
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate 2 columns, add sum IF two columns match on two rows

Hi all, I know this sounds suspiciously like a homework course; but, it is not. My goal is to take a file, and match my "ID" column to the "Date" column, if those conditions are true, add the total number of minutes worked and place it in this file, while not printing the original rows that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtucker6784
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files by columns, then extract certain columns of matcing rows

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie to UNIX. I would appreciate any help with UNIX coding on comparing two large csv files (greater than 10 GB in size), and output a file with matching columns. I want to compare file1 and file2 by 'id' and 'chain' columns, then extract exact matching rows'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkane3
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to columns

Hi, I have a text file with records as below Service Contract: Account Type: Client Number: Group Number: Account Currency: I want to print 2nd,3rd and 5th as a separate column, like -> Account Type: ,Client Number: ,Account Currency: How can I do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsid
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Columns to rows

HI UNIX Gurus, Not sure if this was already asked and an UNIX Guru has replied but I could not find what i wanted. I have linux environment and need help on this. I have several files like this. a,1 b,1 utc,10/12/2019 local,10/12/2018 name,xxxy deg,feh 10,12 20,8 30,50 32,64 46,65... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roopensingh
5 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)