Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Access value outside awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Access value outside awk Post 302147385 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 26th of November 2007 09:34:51 PM
Old 11-26-2007
It looks to me like you could put back ticks (`) around the entire awk statement.
Example:
Code:
echo "some stuff for awk to process" | awk '{ print $2 }'

Prints the string "stuff"
Example of trapping this returned string
Code:
myvariable=`echo "some stuff for awk to process" | awk '{ print $2 }'`
if [ "$myvariable" = "stuff" ]
then
    echo "Yay, we found stuff"
else
    echo "Something went wrong with the script"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access Awk Variables Outside Scope

Sorry in the wrong forum. Moving this to right forum. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access value outside awk or split value of array

Hello I am new to Unix. Please help me out. My Scenario: I am first collecting all the file names present in the directory with structure myinfo/yourinfo/supplierinfo I have four files with the names myCollector.java, yourCollector.java, someCollector.java, everyCollector.java. in the directory.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jason.bean
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Access Awk Variables Outside Scope

My awk script searches for specified patterns in a text file and stores these values into mem variables. Once this is done I want to Insert these values into a table. How can I avail of the variable values outside the scope of awk script.... One method that I have tried is to write the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out access.log with awk and grep

In part of my script I use awk to pull out the urls. awk '{print $8}' then I take them and send them to grep.` Some of them are straight .com/ or .org or whatever (address bar entries), while others are locations of images, js, etc. I'm trying to only pull any line that ends with .com/... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: druisgod
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Access log field - using awk to pull date/time

hey guys. the following line is a line taken from apache's access_log 10.10.10.10 - jdoe "GET /images/down.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 I'm concerned about the field that has the date and time in it. if assuming the delimiter in the file is a space, then the fourth field will always have the date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with awk and access log

when i run this command: tail -200 /var/log/httpd/access_log | awk -F'' '{sub(/:*$/,"",$2);print $2}' i get: 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56 13/Aug/2012:20:56... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable To access array in awk

Hi, i have the following code in which i am passing array tldn in awk using -v option & despite of that condition is not getting matched,can somebody suggest how to handle shell arrays in awk tcount=(9875 9667) awk -F"\t" -v ltldn="${tldn}" 'NR==FNR {POSTPAIDMDNS=$2"|"$3;next} ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)