Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Problem in for loop of shell scripting in solaris Post 302147287 by krevathi1912 on Monday 26th of November 2007 07:59:15 AM
Old 11-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
surprising ! Smilie

Its working as expected !
Code:
sh-2.05b$ sh test.sh
Enter the start IP
Enter the End IP
Total is 2
Total number of IPs are 2
Interfaces created are bge0:1
IP's created are 127.0.0.1
Interfaces created are bge0:2
IP's created are 127.0.0.2
Interfaces created are bge0:3
IP's created are 127.0.0.3

Thanks for ur reply.........
I have solved it using "while" loop anyway "for" loop is not working for me
I m using Solaris-10
Below is my code

#!/bin/sh
echo "Enter the start IP"
IFS="."
read s1 s2 s3 s4
echo "Enter the End IP"
IFS="."
read e1 e2 e3 e4
TOTAL=`expr $e4 - $s4`
if [ $e4 -gt $s4 ];then
i=0
while [ $i -le $TOTAL ]
do
/sbin/ifconfig bge0:$s4 plumb
/sbin/ifconfig bge0:$s4 $s1.$s2.$s3.$s4 up
echo "IP's created are $s1.$s2.$s3.$s4"
echo "s4 is $s4"
s4=`expr $s4 + 1`
i=`expr $i + 1`
done
else
echo "End Ip should be greater than Start IP"
fi

One problem in the above script is that the interface is created using above script, but the Ip is not getting created to the interfaces(i.e the problem is in the line /sbin/ifconfig bge0:$s4 $s1.$s2.$s3.$s4 up ).
But when i executing as individual lines as

/sbin/ifconfig bge0:1 plumb
/sbin/ifconfig bge0:1 192.168.100.1 up
it is working fine...........

Any idea about it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

new to shell scripting: whats wrong with my if loop

#!/bin/bash for file in $HOME/*; do if ; then rm -i $file > /dev/null echo "$?" echo "$file has been deleted" fi done Been trying to learn shell scripting for a week or so now, when i run the script it doesnt display an error message, seems like it runs fine, however it doesnt delete... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: stride6
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop in shell scripting

Hi, I have a doubt in usage of while loop in Shell script as Iam new to this. My requirement is that,I have two different directories containing some files which move files to other folder after parsing is done. In my script i wanted to add a while loop which checks for the count in these two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clarification on if loop in Shell scripting

Hi, I'm using Ksh and I'm seeing some of code in my programme as given below. Could you please let me know whats is this meeaing ? (I'm new to this unix) grep "1034" /u/kkk/bin/temp5.lst|cut -c1-2 >/u/kkk/bin/temp6.lst if then echo "" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop shell scripting help

hi i was wondering if someone can help me with a while loop..i have been looking at this for hours and dont no wut to do.. i have to make a menu style.. to have a beeter understanding i have linked a photo at the bottom... http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/772204432_08022011_1.pngand then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

shell scripting while loop lab 15 help

hi.. this is shell scripting lab15.sh i dont understand this lab i am at the screen shot part. i was wondering if someone can take a quick look at this lab i have linked the doc below. i dont know where to start i have did the Required Errorlevels Errorlevel # but dont... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass current year and month in FOR LOOP in UNIX shell scripting?

Hi Team, I have created a script and using FOR LOOP like this and it is working fine. for Month in 201212 201301 201302 201303 do echo "Starting the statistics gathering of $Month partitions " done But in my scripts the " Month " variable is hard-coded. Can you please any one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the for loop output from a remote server in UNIX shell scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , when i try to use for loop i am getting the expected output. $for variable in $(ps -fu user | grep -i something/ | grep -i something | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}');do > grep $variable /tmp/some_path/*/* > done when tried the below to remote server, getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris scripting problem with ksh88

Hello, I want to pick a random element from a list, and created these 2 lines, which work very well in ksh93. Unfortunately, I get this "bad substitution" message in ksh88. I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to the second line of my script.. or if I have to install ksh93 to make this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfroute
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Shell Scripting

Hi, Want to know, is there any way to restrict a Solaris user to Single Login. Means a particular user can login once and if he or someone else tries to login with his ID then a message displayed "user already logged in" and denies his attempt. Regard, Jeet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CountJeet
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)