Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding the most common entry in a column Post 302146769 by Donkey25 on Thursday 22nd of November 2007 06:59:23 AM
Old 11-22-2007
Thanks guys,

I got both of the above to work but my CPU usage hit 100% lol! Any ideas on either making this more efficient or limiting the amount of CPU that this awk script can hog?

Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding longest common substring among filenames

I will be performing a task on several directories, each containing a large number of files (2500+) that follow a regular naming convention: YYYY_MM_DD_XX.foo_bar.A.B.some_different_stuff.EXT What I would like to do is automatically discover the part of the filenames that are common to all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmcnorgan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Authors in Common Across Dozens of Lists

I currently have publication lists for ~3 dozen faculty members. I need to find out how many publications are in common across all faculty members - person 1 with person 2, person 1 with person 3, person 2 with person 3, person 1 with both person 2 and person 3, etc. One person may have Last1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peggy White
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding common numbers (contents) across 2 or 3 files

I have 3 files which are tab delimited and have numbers in it. file 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 File 2 3 5 7 8 File 3 1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for each different entry in column 1 extract maximum values from column 2 in unix/awk

Hello, I have 2 columns (1st column has multiple entries but the corresponding values in the column 2 may be the same or different.) however I want to extract unique values for each entry in column 1 by assigning the max value from column 2 SDF4 -0.211654 SDF4 0.978068 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a header column by adding another column entry to the header column name URGENT!!

Hi All, I have a file example.csv which looks like this GrpID,TargetID,Signal,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256 CSCH74_1_1,212007,647,679 CSCH74_1_1,12007,3,32 CSCH74_1_1,207,299,777 I want the output as GrpID,TragetID,Signal-CSCH74_1_1,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vavad
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding most repeated entry in a column and giving the count

Please can you help in providing the most repeated entry in the 2nd column and give its count Here is an input file 1, This , is a forum 2, This , is a forum 1, There , is a forum 2, This , is not right Here the most repeated entry is "This" and count is 3 So output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding most common substrings

Hello, I would like to know what is the three most abundant substrings of length 6 from col2. The file is quite large and looks like this col1 col2 EN03 typehellobyedogcatcatdog EN09 typehellobyebyebyebye EN08 dogcatcatdogbyebyebyebye EN09 catcattypehellobyebyebyebye... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum column values based in common identifier in 1st column.

Hi, I have a table to be imported for R as matrix or data.frame but I first need to edit it because I've got several lines with the same identifier (1st column), so I want to sum the each column (2nd -nth) of each identifier (1st column) The input is for example, after sorted: K00001 1 1 4 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sargotrons
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding common entries between 10 columns

Hello, I need to find the intersection across 10 columns. Kindly help. my file (INPUT.csv) looks like this 4_R 4_S 8_R 8_S 12_R 12_S 24_R 24_S LOC_Os01g01010 LOC_Os01g01010 LOC_Os01g01010 LOC_Os04g48290 LOC_Os01g01010 LOC_Os01g01010... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanchari
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed summation of one column based on some entry in first column

Hi All , I am having an input file as stated below Input file 6 ddk/djhdj/djhdj/Q 10 0.5 dhd/jdjd.djd.nd/QB 01 0.5 hdhd/jd/jd/jdj/Q 10 0.5 512 hd/hdh/gdh/Q 01 0.5 jdjd/jd/ud/j/QB 10 0.5 HD/jsj/djd/Q 01 0.5 71 hdh/jjd/dj/jd/Q 10 0.5 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies
CPUSET(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 CPUSET(3)

NAME
cpuset_create, cpuset_destroy, cpuset_zero, cpuset_set, cpuset_clr, cpuset_isset, cpuset_size -- dynamic CPU sets SYNOPSIS
#include <sched.h> cpuset_t * cpuset_create(void); void cpuset_destroy(cpuset_t *set); void cpuset_zero(cpuset_t *set); int cpuset_set(cpuid_t cpu, cpuset_t *set); int cpuset_clr(cpuid_t cpu, cpuset_t *set); int cpuset_isset(cpuid_t cpu, const cpuset_t *set); size_t cpuset_size(const cpuset_t *set); DESCRIPTION
This section describes the functions used to create, set, use and destroy the dynamic CPU sets. This API can be used with the POSIX threads, see pthread(3) and affinity(3). The ID of the primary CPU in the system is 0. FUNCTIONS
cpuset_create() Allocates and initializes a clean CPU-set. Returns the pointer to the CPU-set, or NULL on failure. cpuset_destroy(set) Destroy the CPU-set specified by set. cpuset_zero(set) Makes the CPU-set specified by set clean, that is, memory is initialized to zero bytes, and none of the CPUs set. cpuset_set(cpu, set) Sets the CPU specified by cpu in set. Returns zero on success, and -1 if cpu is invalid. cpuset_clr(cpu, set) Clears the CPU specified by cpu in the CPU-set set. Returns zero on success, and -1 if cpu is invalid. cpuset_isset(cpu, set) Checks if CPU specified by cpu is set in the CPU-set set. Returns the positive number if set, zero if not set, and -1 if cpu is invalid. cpuset_size(set) Returns the size in bytes of CPU-set specified by set. SEE ALSO
affinity(3), pset(3), sched(3), schedctl(8), kcpuset(9) HISTORY
The dynamic CPU sets appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
November 2, 2011 BSD