Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permanent Alias
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permanent Alias Post 302146722 by porter on Thursday 22nd of November 2007 02:22:22 AM
Old 11-22-2007
Another approach is to

(a) create a bin directory in your home directory

(b) put all the links you want in that

(c) add $HOME/bin to PATH in an appropriate profile file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Permanent ip routing

I am trying to add a permanent route on my server, but whenever i reboot it dissapears. Please does anyone know the correct command to use. route add XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD the above is what i have done. ednut:) using IRIX SGI software. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ednut
2 Replies

2. AIX

Permanent Default Route

Hi, We are running AIX 5.2. Our default gateway used to be IP Address A. Our new default gateway is IP Address B. A netstat revealed that our default route was IP address A. We manually added default route with IP address B and removed the default route with IP address A. However,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DenD
3 Replies

3. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the changes permanent in a file

Hi Friends. I have a file called install.data which has fields like : XXXXX ACVCGFFTFY UAHIUH OI CONNECTION=tape/11/ LOCATAION=08-90-89 SIZE=90 I had to change the values of some of these variables. So i did : grep "SIZE" instal.data | sed 's/*/00/' ...this is working fine on command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Permanent changes to PATH

Hi guys, I'm running Solars 8 on a V100 server at home for testing. If I switch user to root and do: # echo $PATH This is the output: /usr/sbin:/usr/bin I'm using rsync over ssh and need to add /usr/local/bin and /user/local/sbin. I do this by running the line: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making an alias permanent

Hi mates, I want to make an alias permanent for a KShell, does someone knows how to do that? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

set permanent ulimit

Hi all I have a request from user to change the file descriptors limit to 8192. The current setting are: root@xxxxx:(wmdev)> ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm non-permanent delete

I read this article as a way to do a non-permanent of something. I saw 2 problems. The first that my rm is located at /bin/rm. I would assume I would change the location to /bin/rm. The second my rm is a executable file and not a text file. So will replacing my rm file with the shellscript... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to set permanent aliases?

Hi All On my Solaris 10 X86, under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles" When I run the above... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)