Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Building command line parameters of arbitrary length Post 302146236 by cmcnorgan on Monday 19th of November 2007 02:41:04 PM
Old 11-19-2007
Building command line parameters of arbitrary length

I couldn't find an existing thread that addressed this question, so hopefully this isn't redundant with anything previously posted. Here goes:

I am writing a C-Shell script that runs a program that takes an arbitrary number of parameters:

myprog -a file1 \
-b file2 \
-c file3 ... \
-n fileN \
-operation "a+b+c+...+n"

The files on which myprog operates are in subdirectories: 01/01.ext, 02/02.ext, ... etc.

Since the filenames happen to match the directory names, I would like to be able to pass the script an arbitrary number of directories (in practice, there will be fewer than 26, so there is no concern with running out of "-x" tags). The script would then construct the argument list for myprog so that
myscript.sh 01 02 03 ... 12
would expand into:
myprog -a 01/01.ext -b 02/02.ext ... -k 11/11.ext -l 12/12.ext \
-operation "a+b+c+...+k+l"

Is there a straightforward way to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing command line parameters to functions - sh

All, I have a sh script of the following tune: function a () { #functionality.. } function b () { #functionnlity.. } function check () { # this function checks for env and if all fine call build } function usage () { #sh usage details } function build () { #calls either a or b or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you take in variables/parameters from the command line?

I need to take in two parameters from the command line...help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avisram
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use parameters in command line while submitting a report

Iam running a report(.rdf) file from UNIX command line. using the following syntax for eg xxx.rdf is the report rdf ar60run batch=yes userid=username/paswd@database report=xxx.rdf destype=file desname=xxx.dat now i need to submit this with three pameters pls suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading putty command line parameters from Linux

I am running Putty 0.60 from Windows XP and I am connecting to a Linux box. I would like to be able to pass a command line parameter to my Linux session so that my Linux session can execute a specific command, depending on the command line parameter. I have looked on the Internet and tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SFNYC
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to hide command line parameters?

Hello I want to hide command line parameters of my programs/scripts to not to be seen with 'ps' command. How can I do that? thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with command line parameters

hi, This is actually realted to a Abinitio command in a unix script. my code is #!/bin/ksh GRAPH_NAME=$1 shift air sandbox run $GRAPH_NAME $* > file.lst 2>&1 if ]; then echo "Pass" fi when i run this script with this command "script.ksh graph_name parameters" the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siva1612
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line parameters

hi again question on how to change code so that script will prompt to enter parameter if they are missing. . . code I have so far : #!/bin/bash two="200" three=500 if ; then echo " first line parameter is $one " else echo -n " first parameter is missing , please write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective command line parameters.

Hi, I have a script which has 3 command line parameters.But sometimes it will also take 2 command line parameters or 1.How to do it? I am using $1,$2... to specify the command line parameters. The script which i have written is given below. #!/bin/sh echo "database="$1 echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing command line parameters into script

Not a good post. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies
mfontset_lookup(3m17n)						 The m17n Library					    mfontset_lookup(3m17n)

NAME
mfontset_lookup - Lookup a fontset. SYNOPSIS
MPlist * mfontset_lookup (MFontset * fontset, MSymbol script, MSymbol language, MSymbol charset) DESCRIPTION
Lookup a fontset. The mfontset_lookup() function lookups fontset and returns a plist that describes the contents of fontset corresponding to the specified script, language, and charset. If script is Mt, keys of the returned plist are script name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. If script is a script name symbol, the returned plist is decided by language. o If language is Mt, keys of the plist are language name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. A key may be Mt which means some fallback fonts are specified for the script. o If language is a language name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the specified script and language. FONT-GROUP is a plist whose keys are FLT (FontLayoutTable) name symbols (Mt if no FLT is associated with the font) and values are pointers to MFont. o If language is Mnil, the plist is fallback FONT-GROUP for the script. If script is Mnil, the returned plist is decided as below. o If charset is Mt, keys of the returned plist are charset name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. o If charset is a charset name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the charset. o If charset is Mnil, the plist is a fallback FONT-GROUP. RETURN VALUE
It returns a plist describing the contents of a fontset. The plist should be freed by m17n_object_unref(). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mfontset_lookup(3m17n)