Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: swap -l
Operating Systems Solaris swap -l Post 302146010 by s4g3 on Friday 16th of November 2007 06:05:39 AM
Old 11-16-2007
Does swap -s work?

what does /etc/vfstab entry say for ur s1 slice???

Have you added any extra swap file to the swap space?

I suggest try these steps

1) Remove the swap in the running system using
swap -d /dev/dsk/cxtxdxs1
swap -d /path/to/swapfile

2) Check swap -l - it should say "no swap" or something like that

3) Comment the swap entries in /etc/vfstab

4) Add the swap back using swap -a

5) Now try and execute swap -l

~Sage

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap

When i re-updated my system i set my swap at 500 MB. I have 256 in ram and have never even gone into the 250 mb of swap that i had originally configured. How do I reduce the swap? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About swap

Is it really so that if swap will be located in the begining of hard drive, than it will work faster? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ty3
1 Replies

3. Solaris

/tmp as swap

So with solaris 10 are people not using the old /tmp as a regular UFS filesystem and making /tmp part of swap or tmpfs... what are peoples thoughts on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

How much Swap is too much?

I have a HP-UX B.11.23 server with 16 gb of memory 84 gb of swap configured. I am being pushed to define more swap to try and get more Tuxedo domains to start. At what point do we have too much swap for the amount of memory? Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
11 Replies

6. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

swap

Hi, I have added a new disk to production server. How to make it visible to os and how to configure it. I also want to add some space from that disk to swap space. Please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

9. Solaris

swap

Hi, Can somebody please help here, since iam just a beginner. According to my book knowledge. the Avalilable memory calculated by swap -l (includes only swap) should be small as compared to swap -s value(includes Virtual memory=swap +physical). but this is quite opposite in my case. swap... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
remote_nfs_swap(5)						File Formats Manual						remote_nfs_swap(5)

NAME
remote_nfs_swap - enable swapping across NFS VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
This tunable controls adding a NFS filesystem for use as swap. If is set to only local filesystems and devices can be used for swap. If it is set to both local and networked file systems can be used for swap. Historically, this tunable was used in NFS clusters that are no longer supported, but this capability has not yet been removed. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect on the next boot. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? Almost never. As previously mentioned, this tunable was designed for systems which are not in use today. Only systems with extremely robust NFS capabilities should even consider using NFS for swap. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? If the value is set to and a NFS partition is added as swap, then some kernel memory will be set aside for NFS transactions to the swap file system. The kernel will then use the NFS swap partition just the same as a local file system. If the NFS capabilities of the system are not robust, this could lead to extremely long swap times (both swap in and swap out), and possibly a loss of memory because all the reserved memory and more could be used by NFS (just when memory pressure is high) causing the need for swap. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? Unless you are positive that the NFS system can handle the load of being used as swap, and does not have a local file system or disk drive to spare, this tunable should be set to What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? Any previously defined NFS swap filesystems will no longer be allowed. Kernel memory will not be reserved for NFS transactions due to swap. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters remote_nfs_swap(5)