Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Software engineers, real and otherwise Post 302145999 by bakunin on Friday 16th of November 2007 03:25:09 AM
Old 11-16-2007
Let me tell you a story to emphasize what i have written:

For 2 years i worked in a data-warehouse project for a large bank. I was the systems administrator for a software development platform for ~120 developers: 1 IBM p595 in several LPARs, a DS8000 as storage subsystem and several small systems. Several DB/2 UDB instances. The "software developers" where of course not programming - they used a Meta-Data-Analysis-Tool to feed some other "Object oriented Meta-SQL generator" (or something such, may i have left out some buzzwords here) to finally generate SQL code. Most of the times the were in meetings discussing how they would click on icons if they were ever to find time between the strategy talks, the review meetings and the customer fulfilment presentations.

One day i was asked to do a performance review for one of the database machines (LPAR, 22GB RAM, 5 physical POWER5+-CPUs). It turned out someone had effectively managed to create a "left outer join" of almost the whole database onto itself, fed that into a shell script line for line, manipulated these lines there with some awk and fed that back into the database.

Clever solution, yes? Why use outdated non-OO, non-CRE, no-nothing SQL-statements like "select for update" when a streamlined process of clicking on a icon created that wonderful masterpiece of generator-output? It turned out the generator "thought" it was a really clever solution and on the test dataset with its 10 records it "worked well" - it just had to be cancelled after 36 hours, because shell script loops manipulating 160 millions of records tend to be somewhat slow....

Another day: "developer" (no, not one of the real ones) walks up to me and asks where the command lines size limit is defined in AIX. I point him to /usr/sys/include/limits.h and tell him that it is 4096 characters.

"Developer": "Can you make that bigger?"
Me: "What for?"
"Developer": "my SQL generator has created this statement, but it is 12k characters long and i always get an input line too long' error. You have to optimize the OS to.."
Me: "no."
"Developer": "why not?"
Me: "Because I am not here to make arbitrarily bad design possible."

The DBA and me then worked together and created an analogous code in old-fashioned, very non-streamlined SQL-code in about 300 characters. True, we did that using incomprehensible low-level techniques (like an "editor") instead of modern and reliable methods ("click on an icon"), but somehow we managed to create some readable statement instead of the blather the generator had come up with and our code even ran in about 5% of the time.

bakunin

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers

I'm look for some opinion on mathematical software from any engineers out there. What is the open source application that --in your opinion(s) -- best meets the same requirements as Mathematica or Maple? I'm running FreeBSD & Linux, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many UNIX engineers are necessary?

I was asked to maintain more than 160 UNIX servers which OS are Solaris, linux,susue,,etc by the president. But there is only one UNIX engineer in my section. I am sure I need at least 3 UNIX engineers to maintain more than 160 UNIX servers. What do you think how many engineers I need? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjhit
11 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Installation Guide for Solaris Cluster 3.2 Software and Oracle 10g Release 2 Real App

Here are steps for installing the Solaris 10 11/06 OS, Solaris Cluster (formerly Sun Cluster) 3.2 software, QFS 4.5, and Oracle 10gR2 RAC. Also provided are instructions on how to configure QFS and Solaris Volume Manager for use with Oracle 10gR2 RAC. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
1 Replies

6. Advertise with Us

Wanted- Linux Application Engineers

Optiver US LLC is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading application engineering team. This position is a primary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
SQL::Statement::Roadmap(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      SQL::Statement::Roadmap(3pm)

NAME
SQL::Statement::Roadmap - Planned Enhancements for SQL::Statement and SQL::Parser Jens Rehsack - June 2010 SYNOPSIS
This document gives a high level overview of the future of SQL::Statement, SQL::Parser and its impact. The planned enhancements cover testing, performance, reliability, extensibility and more. CHANGES AND ENHANCEMENTS
Enhancements in SQL::Statement 1.xx SQL::Statement 1.xx will not receive big changes, but a few enhancements may help us to design SQL::Statement 2.xx much better. CREATE and DROP of FUNCTION, KEYWORD, OPERATOR, TYPE SQL::Statement is missing some functions, types, operators etc. It's supported to add missing functionality - but the implementation wasn't picked up during the modernizing of column evaluation. See RT#52397 for some more information. This should be done before SQL::Statement 1.xx reaches the end of its road. Parser improvements The SQL::Parser is implemented based on a lot of regular expressions and some manually developed logic. This creates some issues like RT#53416 or RT#55190. Further, trailing ";" causes SQL::Parser to croak. We need to decide what can be fixed without internal design changes and what has to wait. Performance There is no intention to work on performance improvements in SQL::Statement 1.xx. The performance is good as it is and improvement requires design changes. Reliability Bugs will be fixed - where possible. SQL::Statement 1.28 is much more reliable than SQL::Statement 1.15. Even if a bug cannot be fixed all issues are gratefully received as they will be considered in the design process for SQL::Statement 2.xx better. Extensibility SQL::Statement 1.xx is highly extensible, even if a more object oriented design would improve that. The 1.xx branch will not be redesigned for greater extensibility on a coding level. Enhancements in SQL::Statement 2.xx Concerning the procedural design of SQL::Statement 1.xx a rewrite of the basic components is required. SQL::Parser rewrite The SQL::Parser needs to be modified to be able to use a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backus_Naur_Form. This would allow users and developers to rely on many different SQL dialects. This will allow better extensibility from a feature point of view without losing ANSI SQL compatibility. SQL::Statement rewrite SQL::Statement should be reduced to a simple coordinating engine. The executing tasks should be organized into separated commands. This will reduce side effects and will open the door for higher level optimizations, reliability improvements or sub-selects (or other calculated tables). Features There is a large list of missing features but not all table backends will be able to support each new feature. The most popular requested features need additional discussion and everyone is welcome to do it on the mailto:dbi-dev@perl.org. LOCK TABLE Locking table within SQL scripts to manually control table consistence over several operations. The current locking support is restricted to one statement. Transaction support Executing statements on a temporary copy of the table data. The easiest way to implement this would be to create a SQL::Statement::RAM on "BEGIN TRANSACTION" and write the entire table back on "COMMIT" or discard on "ROLLBACK". Better performance could be acheived when the implementation allows to memorize the single modification and apply them at "COMMIT". This needs more discussion. ALTER TABLE Adding, removing or modifying columns is not supported for created tables. A generic "ALTER TABLE" seems to rely on the implementation of the transaction support - until better ideas are provided. Indices Currently some table backends have implicit support to access specified rows quicker than fetching each row and evaluating the where clause against the row data. An interface would be required to configure fetching to return only rows matching a restricted where clause. Another (probably better) way to support indices would be to fetch index entries at first and have an interface to the table fetching lines based on an index key. Sub-Selects In most cases queries can be re-expressed without using sub-selects. But in any case, there are circumstances where sub-selects are required. The first implementation will do the sub-select before the primary statement is executed without any further optimization. Hopefully a later version will provide better Performance with some optimization. Query based variables Currently the only variable I can imagine is "ROWNUM". More suggestions are very welcome. Better SQL Script support In SQL::Statement 1.xx the function "RUN ()" provides SQL script execution. This function may have limitations and side effects (at least when the executed SQL touched the same tables as the primary statement). I plan to improve the SQL script support to remove the side effects on the one hand and have a more flexible and easier way to execute them. Finally it should be possible to execute a script via: $dbh->do( join( ";", @script ) ); Trigger support Most important when doing complicated things is having callback functions for several events. While real triggers will not be possible for SQL::Statement and underlying pseudo-databases, callbacks could be provided via triggers. Performance There are several performance optimizations required for SQL::Statement 2.xx. The first one should be done on a very high level (query optimization) by implementing algebraic evaluation of queries and clean implementation of typical database algorithms. With respect to the basic optimization rule premature optimization is the root of all evil, it is primarily targeted to have an adequately fast, reliable implementation of many algorithms (e.g. early incomplete evaluation to reduce amount of rows, transpose where clause to evaluate constants first) and a clever controller choosing the right algorithm for a specific query. The second optimization goal means: implementing most expensive methods in XS. This requires a good performance test suite as well as some real world useage cases. Reliability This is one of the primary goals of SQL::Statement. I hope to reach it using test driven development and I hope I get some more todo's from the users for this. Extensibility The currently high level of extensibility should be increased on a coding level. This will be done by redesigning the entire parser and execution engine using object oriented techniques and design patterns. Testing Many tests in SQL::Statement are not well organized. The tests should be reorganized into several parts: Basic API This part should test the entire basic API of SQL::Statement, SQL::Parser and probably the entire engine command classes. DBI / Table API This part should test if the API to DBI drivers work (maybe an empty test driver will be needed for that). Functionality This part should test the functionality of the SQL::Parser and the SQL::Statement engine. Performance This part should be used to implement full useage cases (ideally from real world projects) to allow for testing optimizations. PRIORITIES
Our priorities are localized to our current issues and proof of concept fixes for upcoming SQL::Statement 2.xx. Any additional priorities (as missing features, the SQL::Statement rewrite) will come later and can be modified by (paying) users. RESOURCES AND CONTRIBUTIONS
See <http://dbi.perl.org/contributing> for how you can help. If your company has benefited from the DBI or SQL::Statement, please consider if it could make a donation to The Perl Foundation "DBI Development" or "SQL::Statement Development" fund at <http://dbi.perl.org/donate> to secure future development. Alternatively, if your company would benefit from a specific new DBI or SQL::Statement feature, please consider sponsoring its development through the options listed in the section "Commercial Support from the Author" on <http://dbi.perl.org/support/>. Using such targeted financing allows you to contribute to DBI development (including SQL::Statement and PurePerl DBI drivers) and rapidly get something specific and directly valuable to you in return. Thank you. perl v5.10.1 2010-07-12 SQL::Statement::Roadmap(3pm)