Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ulimit and 64 bits process
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ulimit and 64 bits process Post 302145934 by tommy_cs on Thursday 15th of November 2007 10:34:29 PM
Old 11-15-2007
Question ulimit and 64 bits process

as we know, ulimit can be used to limit the stack and heap size of a process occupy. However, the space for 32-bits and 64 bits process are different.

for example, "ulimit -s xxxx" only limit the stack size of 32- bits process, am I right?

How to limit the size of 64-bits process?

thanks a lot!Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing 24 bits to 8 bits display

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to change 24 bits depth display to 8 bits depth display for Sun Ultra1, running Solaris 8? THANKS in advance. I think that the command is ffbconfig, but it has nothing about depth. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit -d

All I am trying to do ulimit -d unlimited and I get "sh: ulimit: The specified value exceeds the user's allowable limit." Can someone please help me understand, how to change this! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adadevil
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ulimit

Hi, I need to increase the open files on my server to run a test. Usually what I do is: ulimit -n 5000 My questions are: 1] I want to set this parameter once and for all. What is the right parameter to set in /etc/system: rlim_fd_max or rlim_fd_cur? 2] How to make sure that this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to convert a partition usin 64 bits kernel to 32 bits kernel?

Hello there: I know that exist a procedure to convert an OS using 32bits kernel to 64 bits kernel. But, exist a procedure to convert an OS using 64bits to 32 bits kernel? Please help me. Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

32 bits procesaor with 64 bits Solaris

people i have a problem i have a 32 bits sparc processor, and solaris 64 bits processor, i install a oracle data base 64 bits, but my oracle will not run because my processor is from 32 bits this is ok??, i know if i have x86 i cannot install a 64 bits operatin system in a 32 bits processor. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ulimit -n for specific process

Hello all, I need to set the ulimit -n for a specific java process we are running. Can someone please verify my syntax. ulimit -n 10000 java com.Company.Application.Application.CustomJavaProcess & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
2 Replies

7. Linux

ulimit -n

Hi im a complete noob to shell commands but here is my problem i have a dedicated server i7 with 24 gig ram i have whm/cpanel on it now ive added a minecraft system to root but i cannot set the server to more than 512mb memory i was told its because the memory is being blocked and was told to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazzac
7 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Place Bits & Win Bits!!! - 17th Annual Satellite Awards

Ten movies have been nominated as best motion picture by the International Press Academy, presentation of the 2012 Satellite Awards will be held on 16th December at Los Angeles, CA. Place your bits here on one of the below nominated movie of your choice:- Argo ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
0 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit -- get and set process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long int ulimit(int cmd, ...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function provides a method to query or alter resource limits of the calling process. The method to be performed is specified by the cmd argument; possible values are: UL_GETFSIZE Return the soft file size limit of the process. The value returned is in units of 512-byte blocks. If the result cannot be represented in an object of type long int, the result is unspecified. UL_SETFSIZE Set the hard and soft file size limits of the process to the value of the second argument passed, which is in units of 512-byte blocks, and which is expected to be of type long int. The new file size limit of the process is returned. Any process may decrease the limit, but raising it is only permitted if the caller is the super-user. If successful, the ulimit() function will not change the setting of errno. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the ulimit() function returns the value of the requested limit. Otherwise, it returns -1, sets errno to indicate an error, and the limit is not changed. Therefore, to detect an error condition applications should set errno to 0, call ulimit(), and check if -1 is returned and errno is non-zero. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The cmd argument is not valid. [EPERM] It was attempted to increase a limit, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2) STANDARDS
The ulimit() function conforms to X/Open System Interfaces and Headers Issue 5 (``XSH5'') and IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). It was marked as obsolete in the IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1'') revision, which recommended the use of getrlimit(2) and setrlimit(2) instead, noting that because ulimit() uses the type long rather than rlim_t, it may not be sufficient for file sizes on many current systems. BSD
April 30, 2010 BSD