Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Building a 43p using BOOTP
Operating Systems AIX Building a 43p using BOOTP Post 302145742 by porter on Thursday 15th of November 2007 04:49:28 AM
Old 11-15-2007
Do you have rarpd running and the MAC address to IP mapping in /etc/ethers?

Are you expecting it to use RARP, BOOTP or DHCP to find it's IP address?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootp/tftp

Hi, Setting up print queue, using SMIT on AIX And I have an option saying do I wish to make this a BOOTP/TFTP server. What exactly does this do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP

Im trying to help my professor at school, were trying to setup a linux server, that is configured with bootp/tftp/PXE. the client computer NICs have support to boot off PXE. What we would like to do is if a client computer does not have an OS, it would boot off the server, and display a menu to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwalick
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save 43p bios?

Is there any way to backup the bios on a 43P-140 7043? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freestyle10269
0 Replies

4. Linux

BOOTP on HP Thin clients

Please m new around here! Can anyone take me thru implementing bootp on my thin clients via my central server? Preciate ur assistance. Thanks folks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuk_uka
2 Replies

5. AIX

43p 120

I have acquired a 43p 120 (7248-120) and I have two questions: Can anyone remember what is the highest version of AIX which I can install (5.1 I believe) and Can anyone remember how to boot this from the CDROM (boot floppy?) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnf
1 Replies

6. SCO

Need help in BOOTP Server and Client configuration

Dear All; I need help in configuring the BOOTP server, I have found something on internet forums regarding the file: bootptab and editing some lines but Im not if they are all correct. Also, I need help to configure my clients (UNIX) to boot up with this bootp server(UNIX). I will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amirzandi
1 Replies

7. AIX

model 43P 7248 Recovery!

HI all! this is my problem: my boss got a Model 43P 7248-100 PowerPC server with the AIX 4.2 os, but some days ago it crashed and now it doesn't want to boot up again, it stops after the initial diagnostic phase with the "PowerPC" screen! I must recover some important data from the hard disk, so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKO
6 Replies

8. AIX

brisque impose 43P 150 aix version 4 HELP!!!!!!!!

hi to everybody I have a problem with the AIX version 4: I can not get into failsafe session kindly someone knows how to enter this mode? thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elektrospeed
5 Replies

9. AIX

EXP400 with 43P machine not booting

Hello I connected the exp400 & turned on the aix machine which is 7043-150 but now I guess probably ODM is corrupted as it does not boot. Its stuck at 0518 code. Also, on the console it shows stuck on the kernel, which then it does not want to boot. Is it possible to fix from maintenance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdhawan
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Bootp/tftp issue neeeeeed help plz

i find a solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shady_2005
2 Replies
bootpquery(1M)															    bootpquery(1M)

NAME
bootpquery - send BOOTREQUEST to BOOTP server SYNOPSIS
haddr [htype] [options] DESCRIPTION
is a diagnostic function used to check the configuration of the Internet Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) server, bootpd(1M). This function can only be run by the superuser, since it uses reserved ports. constructs a boot request with the supplied parameters to send to the BOOTP server, and prints the contents of the BOOTP server reply (as shown in below). Note that formats and prints RFC-1048 or CMU-style vendor information included in the BOOTREPLY. The BOOTREQUEST packet is broadcast on the BOOTP server port, If a BOOTP server is configured to respond to the request, it returns a BOOTREPLY packet on the BOOTP client port, can only display BOOTREPLY packets when the BOOTP server broadcasts the reply on the client port or when the hardware address and IP address supplied in the BOOTREQUEST are those of the host on which is run. The following options provide the information for the BOOTREQUEST: Hardware address of the BOOTP client; used in the BOOTREQUEST. A BOOTP server responds if it has configuration information for a host with this link-level address. Type of address specified as haddr; may be or The default address type is Specify the internet address of the BOOTP client to be used in the BOOTREQUEST. If the BOOTP client does not know its IP address, the BOOTP server supplies it in the BOOTREPLY. Otherwise, the server returns the BOOTREPLY directly to ipaddr. Specify the name of the BOOTP server to receive BOOTREQUEST. When the BOOTP server is known, the BOOTREQUEST is not broadcast. Specify a vendor name to include vendor information in the BOOTREPLAY. vendor can be specified as or For any other vendor specification, the first four characters of the parameter are used as the vendor magic cookie. Specify that should broadcast the reply back. This option is only valid for on the HPUX 10.0 (or later) release(s). Specify a boot file needed by the BOOTP client. If a boot file is specified in the BOOTREQUEST, the BOOTP server responds only if the server host can make the file available. EXAMPLES
/usr/sbin/bootpquery 02608cee018e ether -s hpserver Received BOOTREPLY from hpserver.hp.com (15.9.18.119) Hardware Address: 02:60:8c:ee:01:8e Hardware Type: ethernet IP Address: 15.9.18.113 Boot file: /export/tftpdir/hp-gw2-confg RFC 1048 Vendor Information: Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0 Bootfile Size: 6 512 byte blocks Domain Name Server: 15.9.18.119 Host Name: hp-gw2 AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
bootpd(1M), tftp(1), tftpd(1M). DARPA Internet Request For Comments RFC951, RFC1048, RFC1084, RFC1395, RFC1542 Assigned Numbers. bootpquery(1M)