Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setuid bit - error
Operating Systems HP-UX setuid bit - error Post 302145171 by zedex on Tuesday 13th of November 2007 03:56:07 AM
Old 11-13-2007
Question setuid bit - error

hi i have written small script which will login 2 two different users with su but if we run from normal user it prompts for password so
i chnaged the owner of script to root and added setuid bit
with
chmod u+s <script_name>

but when i run the script i get following message

Code:
Warning: Ignoring setuid/setgid bit on "./testing.sh" as the system tunable "secure_sid_scripts" is set.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setuid sticky bit

I have a binary. It is having the following permissions rws rws rwx mqm:mqm runmqtrm The same program on another machine is rws rws rwx root: mqm runmqtrm This program is a setuid program. This is what my understanding is. Whatever user the program is started under, it will finally be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bandaru
0 Replies

2. Programming

setuid bit on user + dynamically linked libraries

hi all, i have a critical and specific problem with respect to set uid bit on user and the dll's for a binary, (under the userid A) it needs libraries from /usr/lib and informix libraries from $INFORMIXDIR/lib/esql but this binary should be kicked off from id B, hence s-bit on user is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error compiling 32-bit Qt-4.7 on 64-bit Ubuntu OS

Hi, I am compiling Qt-4.7 for 32-bit on 64-bit (x86_64) Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. I have installed all the 32-bit libraries (/lib32 and /usr/lib32) through getlibs and "apt-get install ia32-libs". But I am getting the following error while configuring the qt project as: ./configure -platform... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

process fails if setuid bit is set

Hi, OS : Linux I have an executable (P1) owned by user say "abcd" and the setuid bit is set. And there is another executable (P2) which brings up the process (P1). When the setuid bit is set, the process P1 is failing, if the setuid bit is not set there is no issue. I was wondering if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setuid & sticky bit

Can anyone explain me difference between setuid and sticky bit? and also between setuid and chown? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
3 Replies

6. Linux

Please explain setuid bit clearly!

Dear all, I am newbie with linux, i dont understand any code. I have googled a long time. Please help me explain about setuid bit on linux (Centos 6) Here: 1/ I chmod u+s for /sbin/iptables but normal user still cannot perform command (ex: /sbin/iptables -L) 2/Someone says : setuid only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)