Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Disablin login for system accounts Post 302144666 by veccinho on Friday 9th of November 2007 04:25:17 AM
Old 11-09-2007
Disablin login for system accounts

Hy everyone!
I'm trying to lock out system accounts on my Tru64 UNIX machines.
Wherever I look, it says only to put Nologin or *Nologin in password field of desired account in /etc/passwd.
But it doesn't work. I still can su to that accounts. There are some accounts that already have Nologin in their password field and to that account I cannot su.
What am I doing wrong?
Do I have to do something else besides adding Nologin in /etc/paswd?
I used vipw for editing passwd file, in case someone asksSmilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

past login still exist in the system

hi, i noticed that there are still past logins which have not been terminated. how should i removed them? i am on aix. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
9 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check the last login user were doing in the system

Hi, I'm new to solaris/ Unix and would like to know how to check in the system what was the last login user were doing. Is there any way to check this? Thanks in advanced. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raziayub
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Prompted for System Password during login

Hello, I'm new to HP-UX. I have a system running B.11.23 on ia64. The system gets its user passwords via active directory. Everytime a new account is added to AD a script pushes out the account info to all the systems and this system is updated too. However, on this machine, users are unable to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BFLO
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

system not login

Hi, I was add my shell script in /etc/rc.d/rc.local file Eg. sh /root/KernelModule.sh my KernelModule.sh contain insmod xxxxx.ko insmod yyyy.ko I have insmod 22 kernelmodule in this script , all the modules are my own driver modules. now problem is my system is booting but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System list of all UNIX login accounts

What is the command to list all UNIX system login accounts? What is the command to list all system password parameters for UNIX(minimum length, complexity,age, invalid lockout attempts, expiration date , user inactivity lockout) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ma466
1 Replies

6. AIX

Hanging in the system after login !

Guy's I have AIX 6.1 has some slowness when I login to the system .. When I login by user screen hangs for some time 20 seconds then it's give me the command prompt .. ! system is fine is working fine only this issue I faced can you please help me in this .. what's the expected reason... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
2 Replies

7. Programming

C++ Login System help.

I'm new to C++. I have a text file named idpw.txt which is storing id and password e.g admin password account1 abc john hello Here's my code so far: bool login() { string user,password, user1, password1; ifstream myfile("idpw.txt"); cout << "Please enter your username" <<... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

I can't login to any new FTP accounts

I have a website that I use sftp to connect to the root account. I am able to connect to it with sftp root@domainHowever, when I create a new user, and try to login with this account, it says permission is denied. I have already checked with my provider, and tech support said they can login... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevthefatty
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Finding system uptime without login

Hi, Am writing a script where I want to find uptime of certain servers. Is there any command where we can find uptime without login to the server, since the server list is big logging to the server will time consuming. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
7 Replies
passwd(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 passwd(4)

NAME
passwd - Password files DESCRIPTION
A passwd file is a file consisting of records separated by newline characters, one record per user, containing seven colon (:) separated fields. These fields are as follows: User's login name. The default length is 8 characters. User's encrypted password. User's ID User's login group ID General information about the user User's home directory User's login shell The name field is the login used to access the computer account, and the uid field is the number associated with it. They should both be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) since they control file access. While it is possible to have multiple entries with identical login names and/or identical user gid's, it is usually a mistake to do so. Routines that manipulate these files will often return only one of the multiple entries, and that one by random selection. The login name must never begin with a hyphen (-); also, it is strongly suggested that neither uppercase characters or dots (.) be part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers. No field may contain a colon (:) as this has been used historically to separate the fields in the user database. The password field is the encrypted form of the password. If the password field is empty, no password is required to gain access to the machine. Because these files contain the encrypted user passwords, they should not be readable by anyone without appropriate privileges. Use the command to edit password entries. This ensures that the hashed password database is rebuilt. If you have enhanced security installed on your system, the password field contains an asterisk (*). The encrypted password is stored in the user's protected password database. The gid field is the group that the user will be placed in upon login. Since the operating system supports multiple groups (see the groups command) this field currently has little special meaning. The gecos field normally contains comma (,) separated subfields as follows: User's full name User's office number User's work phone number User's home phone number This information is used by the finger command. The user's home directory is the full UNIX pathname where the user will be placed on login. The shell field is the command interpreter the user prefers. If the shell field is empty, the Bourne shell (/bin/sh) is assumed. The allowable values for the UID are unsigned numbers from 0 to 65535. The command pwck can be used to verify the accuracy of data entered in the passwd file. EXAMPLES
root:TZVtfX5VbS3KY:0:1:System PRIVILEGED Account,,,:/:/bin/sh adm:*:5:16:Admin Login:/usr/adm:/bin/sh operator:HdgoklKwZOlvU:25:28:System PRIVILEGED Account,,,:/etc/operator: guest:Nologin:-2:-2:anonymous NFS user:/:/bin/date osfuser:If2eoZ6gmghJo:50002:15:Osf User:/usr/users/osfuser:/bin/csh marcy:*:201:20:Marcy Swanson,dev,x1234:/usr/users/marcy:/bin/sh RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: getpwent(3) Commands: login(1), passwd(1), pwck(8), vipw(8) Files: prpasswd(4) delim off passwd(4)