Visit Our UNIX and Linux User Community

Special Forums Cybersecurity Disablin login for system accounts Post 302144666 by veccinho on Friday 9th of November 2007 04:25:17 AM
Old 11-09-2007
Disablin login for system accounts

Hy everyone!
I'm trying to lock out system accounts on my Tru64 UNIX machines.
Wherever I look, it says only to put Nologin or *Nologin in password field of desired account in /etc/passwd.
But it doesn't work. I still can su to that accounts. There are some accounts that already have Nologin in their password field and to that account I cannot su.
What am I doing wrong?
Do I have to do something else besides adding Nologin in /etc/paswd?
I used vipw for editing passwd file, in case someone asksSmilie

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #290
Difficulty: Easy
Free and open-source software (FOSS) is software that anyone is freely licensed to use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, and but the source code must be maintained secretly.
True or False?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

past login still exist in the system

hi, i noticed that there are still past logins which have not been terminated. how should i removed them? i am on aix. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
9 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check the last login user were doing in the system

Hi, I'm new to solaris/ Unix and would like to know how to check in the system what was the last login user were doing. Is there any way to check this? Thanks in advanced. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raziayub
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Prompted for System Password during login

Hello, I'm new to HP-UX. I have a system running B.11.23 on ia64. The system gets its user passwords via active directory. Everytime a new account is added to AD a script pushes out the account info to all the systems and this system is updated too. However, on this machine, users are unable to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BFLO
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

system not login

Hi, I was add my shell script in /etc/rc.d/rc.local file Eg. sh /root/KernelModule.sh my KernelModule.sh contain insmod xxxxx.ko insmod yyyy.ko I have insmod 22 kernelmodule in this script , all the modules are my own driver modules. now problem is my system is booting but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System list of all UNIX login accounts

What is the command to list all UNIX system login accounts? What is the command to list all system password parameters for UNIX(minimum length, complexity,age, invalid lockout attempts, expiration date , user inactivity lockout) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ma466
1 Replies

6. AIX

Hanging in the system after login !

Guy's I have AIX 6.1 has some slowness when I login to the system .. When I login by user screen hangs for some time 20 seconds then it's give me the command prompt .. ! system is fine is working fine only this issue I faced can you please help me in this .. what's the expected reason... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
2 Replies

7. Programming

C++ Login System help.

I'm new to C++. I have a text file named idpw.txt which is storing id and password e.g admin password account1 abc john hello Here's my code so far: bool login() { string user,password, user1, password1; ifstream myfile("idpw.txt"); cout << "Please enter your username" <<... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

I can't login to any new FTP accounts

I have a website that I use sftp to connect to the root account. I am able to connect to it with sftp root@domainHowever, when I create a new user, and try to login with this account, it says permission is denied. I have already checked with my provider, and tech support said they can login... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevthefatty
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Finding system uptime without login

Hi, Am writing a script where I want to find uptime of certain servers. Is there any command where we can find uptime without login to the server, since the server list is big logging to the server will time consuming. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
7 Replies
SYNC-ACCOUNTS(8)						 chiark utilities						  SYNC-ACCOUNTS(8)

NAME
sync-accounts - synchronise accounts and passwords SYNOPSIS
sync-accounts [options] [source ...] DESCRIPTION
sync-accounts is a tool for copying account information into the local system's password and group databases, or equivalent, from other systems. It can be used to slave individual accounts, whole systems, or various partial combinations. By default, when invoked, sync-accounts reads is configuration file and updates all of the local details it is configured to synchronise, from all relevant sources. If one or more sources are named as command-line arguments, only information from those sources is installed locally. See sync-accounts(5) for detailed information about sync-accounts's behaviour and configuration. OPTIONS
-Cconfig-file Reads config-file instead of /etc/sync-accounts. -q Instead of updating local information, sync-accounts displays a summary of which accounts are synchronised or not, and from where. -n Causes sync-accounts not to actually install the new information in the local password and group databases. Instead, updated ver- sions are written to the files passwd and group in the current directory. With -n new accounts are not created at all. The system databases are not locked. SECURITY
sync-accounts is not resistant to malicious data in the local password and group databases, or its configuration file or command line argu- ments. Malicious data in source information will not be able to take control of sync-accounts, but will be copied to the local databases if sync- accounts is configured to do so. To update the local databases, sync-accounts must be run as root. For -q and -n sync-accounts still needs to be able to successfuly invoke the commands specified in the configuration for getpasswd and getgroup. EXIT STATUS
0 All went well and there were no warnings. any other There were problems. The local databases may or may not have been updated. FILES
/etc/sync-accounts Default configuration file. (Override with -C.) sync-accounts-createuser Default command invoked by sync-accounts to create local users. /home Default location for created users' home directories. /bin/sh Default shell for created users. /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, /etc/master.passwd Local account databases, depending on configuration. /etc/shadow-non-existent Must not exist. ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR, VISUAL Manipulated by sync-ccounts when it is reinvoking itself via vipw or vigr, according to lockpasswd runvia or lockgroup runvia. SYNC_ACCOUNTS_* Used by sync-accounts for its own purposes. Do not set these variables. Setting variables used by vipw(8) and vigr(8), apart from EDITOR and/orVISUAL will affect the operation of sync-accounts. Avoid messing with these if possible. PATH is used to find subprograms such as sync-accounts-createuser and vipw/vigr. BUGS
Using sync-accounts does not give particularly prompt propagation of changed account information. There is no simple mechanism for automatically getting the right configuration details for accessing the local system's password and group databases. All the systems sharing account information using sync-accounts need to be using compatible encrypted-password schemes. AUTHOR
sync-accounts and this manpage are part of the sync-accounts package which was written by Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk>. They are Copyright 1999-2000,2002 Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk>, and Copyright 2000-2001 nCipher Corporation Ltd. The sync-accounts package is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option) any later version. This is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, consult the Free Software Foundation's website at www.fsf.org, or the GNU Project website at www.gnu.org. SEE ALSO
sync-accounts(5), grab-account(8), sync-accounts-createuser(8), passwd(5), group(5), shadow(5), master.passwd(5), vipw(8), vigr(8) Greenend 14th July 2002 SYNC-ACCOUNTS(8)

Featured Tech Videos