Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find string, then get the next 3 lines in a file Post 302143987 by lyoncc on Monday 5th of November 2007 05:25:24 PM
Old 11-05-2007
find string, then get the next 3 lines in a file

Hi all. HPUX - /bin/sh (posix)

I am parsing a 3 field flat file, space deliminted

example data.file

acct dining mem
open 0 50
dep 50 0
close 255 0
acct plus mem
open 100 100
dep 50 0
close 323 0

I would like to find strings, then write the next 3 lines out to another file

exec < data.file
while read NAME NAME2 NAME3
do
if [ "$NAME2" = "dining" ]
then (how to I get the very next 3 lines?)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find string and return next 2 lines

I am trying to create a script to search for a string within a file, and if found, return the next two lines. Example file:- msj mh query return this 1 return this 2 mjk mhj query return this 3 return this 4 So the script would identify the string "query" and then return the lines... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and place two blank lines

Hi friends, I am looking for a line to find a particular string in my file and once found then replace with 2-3 blank lines before the string Example: aaa 11 bbb 1 2 3 aaa 22 bbb 4 5 6 Output (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaliniyadav
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in textfile, erase $num lines after that string

I have a textfile containing text similar to the following pattern: STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING1 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING2 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING3 STRING2 STRING3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilcsfe
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find a string, print the line 2 lines below it

I am parsing a nagios config, searching for a string, and then printing the line 2 lines later (the "members" string). Here's the data: define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name chat-dev alias chat-dev members thisisahostname } define hostgroup{ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglenney
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of lines matching string

I have a file with the below format, GS*8***** ST*1******** A* B* E* RMR*123455(This is the unique number to locate this row) F* SE*1*** GE** GS*9***** ST*2 H* J* RMR*567889(This is the unique number to locate this row) L* SE* GE***** (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - find string, search lines below string for other strings

What's the easiest way to search a file for a specific string and then look for other instances after that? I want to search for all Virtual Hosts and print out the Server Name and Document Root (if it has that info), while discarding the rest of the info. Basically my file looks like this: ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mbohmer
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and print all lines upto another string

Ok I would like to do the following file test contains the following lines. between the lines ABC there may be any amount of lines up to the next ABC entry. I want to grep for the filename.txt entry and print the lines in between (and including that line) up to and including the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all lines in file such that each word on that line appears in at least n lines of the file

I have a file where every line includes four expressions with a caret in the middle (plus some other "words" or fields, always separated by spaces). I would like to extract from this file, all those lines such that each of the four expressions containing a caret appears in at least four different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uncleMonty
9 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)